Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would be nice if they did away with the testing requirement for entry. We plan on heading back down to Bonaire in April, so fingers crossed that the case trend continues to decline and bottoms out and that no new variants pop up. However, taking a test before departure isn't a big issue for me. What I'm really hoping for is that the US does away with its (re)entry test requirements, as the prospect of mandatory isolation while on vacation is annoying. I have to give credit to the Bonaire health authorities for not only following the science but also repeatedly adjusting their policies in accordance with the science and their public health goals. When the omicron surge began, they implemented more stringent testing requirements but explicitly stated it was to slow the incursion of the variant into the island. Once their surge began, they removed those additional testing requirements. Now, with the surge essentially over, it appears they might soon be removing the entry test requirement.

In the US, on the other hand, our policies have been a mishmash of science, political expediency, and public health theater. The result is a set of policies that adhere to no internal consistency, and thus are often confusing to the lay public.

In the US, on the other hand, our policies have been a mishmash of science, political expediency, and public health theater. The result is a set of policies that adhere to no internal consistency, and thus are often confusing to the lay public.
This ought to be responded to, but not in this thread.

Following closely as we leave the 12th. Still expect to have a testing requirement to get there, though one can hope...
arriving on the 23rd for 2 weeks, hoping to see the testing relaxed by then as well.

Quick follow up since I got advise on this thread; I used BonBida, since it was easy to see when I drove by. Scheduled online, $65 plus some little change that made it $67.53. The day I went, parked in parking lot, didn't even have to enter the building, walked around to the left to the outdoors rear testing area, the lady swabbed one nostril (and not way deep like she was digging for brains, either), and they generally have results in 10 minutes. I was provided both a color paper copy and an e-mailed copy.

At an airport, one of the overhead announcements mentioned at some point you may be asked to provide evidence of your testing, and you might be in an area without Internet service, so it'd a good idea to make sure you've got it on your phone, computer, etc..., accessible even if you're not online at the time.

Thanks to you guys for the guidance; it went nice (as having a stranger stick a swab up my nose and spin it could be) and smooth.

@drrich2 - lol, yeah never pleasant. How was your trip? We used BonBida last Oct, they have an arrangement with Buddy Dive, you schedule in advance, show up front desk and they return paper copy of results the next day.

I've learned to always carry printed copies of documents. I normally email scanned copies to myself as well. That way if my paper docs, computer, cell are all separated from my person, I can check my email from any computer in the world and access my documents. And after my dive bag was inadvertently grabbed by someone else one trip, when you open my bags there is a piece of paper with my name, cell and local address so anyone opening can determine proper bag owner.

Short Update
===========
BonaireCrisis.com announced today that the Covid-19 numbers (daily tests, infections, etc) will now only be published weekly, as a summary of the week before. There was no publication of data on March 7 or 8; the next data publication will be March 14, summarizing the week we are in right now.

This is another sign of great comfort in Bonaire with their situation. They have already backed off local restrictions, and it seems they are waiting for approval from the Netherlands for changes to their entry policies.

Short Update
===========
BonaireCrisis.com announced today that the Covid-19 numbers (daily tests, infections, etc) will now only be published weekly, as a summary of the week before. There was no publication of data on March 7 or 8; the next data publication will be March 14, summarizing the week we are in right now.

This is another sign of great comfort in Bonaire with their situation. They have already backed off local restrictions, and it seems they are waiting for approval from the Netherlands for changes to their entry policies.
Curacao did away with any testing for arrival. Just have to fill out the
Short Update
===========

From the Curacao board announced yesterday:
WILLEMSTAD - Passengers traveling to Curaçao will soon no longer need to be tested. The government announced this on Monday. A digital Passenger Locator Card (PLC) must still be completed.

So CUR announced no COVID testing for arrivals as of March 10. Likely BON will also eliminated testing "soon".

March 15 Quick Update
================
Today BonaireCrisis.com published its first weekly covid report (summarizing March 7-14), which screws up my tracking/plotting program, so no graphs today. The punchline is that infection numbers have gone up slightly from a week ago, said to be due to the new omicron variant BA-2 being on the island. There is now one person in the hospital; the first since about a month ago.

No word on any changes to entry policies.

Back
Top Bottom