Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Outbound. I'd think the fifth day would be Thursday, but your strategy would work either way for a one-week stay.

In connection with the one-week-stay puzzle, this was posted on the Bonaire Covid Facebook group by someone who has seemed a reliable source:

“The one 5 days after arrival will be done by the Department of Public Health. It's for free, but you won't get a result on paper, since it's purely a public health measure.

“So yes, you'll have to take 2 tests on 2 different locations.”

Thanks @rmorgan. With respect to the five-day thing, it's not worded very clearly so I wasn't sure if Day 1 is the day you arrive or the next day, which would be the first full day of your trip. But I'm glad that it seems that the dept. of health is conducting the NAAT tests for free. Too bad they won't give you a printout of the results. I'm sure that's a nod to the local rapid antigen testing businesses that have cropped up. Otherwise, the free day 5 NAAT test would put a serious dent in their business, since so many visitors only stay one week.

Q&A travelers - Crisiswebsite van het Openbaar Lichaam Bonaire is where it's noted that the 5 day test is free, and how it's done.

I am traveling from a very high-risk country to Bonaire, and must take a test on the 5th day. How does that work?

• At arrival, you are asked to take a free-of-charge NAAT(PCR) test after 5 days (the day of arrival is day 0).
  • You fill out a form declaring that you are willing to take the test and receive an appointment for testing.
  • The NAAT (PCR) test will be administered at the Public Health department’s drive-through testing lane.
  • A Public Health employee will call you as soon as the test result is received. If you test positive, you must isolate yourself. You will receive extensive information about this.
  • If you do not keep the test appointment on the agreed day, you must pay for the test. You also risk having to go into quarantine at home or at your vacation accommodation.

Q&A travelers - Crisiswebsite van het Openbaar Lichaam Bonaire is where it's noted that the 5 day test is free, and how it's done.

I am traveling from a very high-risk country to Bonaire, and must take a test on the 5th day. How does that work?

• At arrival, you are asked to take a free-of-charge NAAT(PCR) test after 5 days (the day of arrival is day 0).
  • You fill out a form declaring that you are willing to take the test and receive an appointment for testing.
  • The NAAT (PCR) test will be administered at the Public Health department’s drive-through testing lane.
  • A Public Health employee will call you as soon as the test result is received. If you test positive, you must isolate yourself. You will receive extensive information about this.
  • If you do not keep the test appointment on the agreed day, you must pay for the test. You also risk having to go into quarantine at home or at your vacation accommodation.
Thanks for the information. I wonder what the protocol is for someone who isn't renting a car, and therefore cannot drive to the health department? I've reached out to the Plaza, where we'll be staying, to see if they are also making testing available, or if that's even an option now that the health department is stepping in for the 5-day test.

Two flights landing on Saturday, two full airplanes of Americans lining up for tests on Thursday. Good thing it's Bonaire!

Two flights landing on Saturday, two full airplanes of Americans lining up for tests on Thursday. Good thing it's Bonaire!
I didn't even think of this. Jeesh, so over 300 people all getting tests done on the same day. I guess I won't count on that Thursday being a dive day...

Emeds sent me some of the Abbott / United tests for reentry into the us that expire in Oct. I originally purchased these for a trip in August. We used them to successfully enter the us. My trip to Bonaire is not until Jan. So they will expire before I can use them. If anyone wants the tests, but cannot obtain them from emeds, let me know. I have four unused tests.

I didn't even think of this. Jeesh, so over 300 people all getting tests done on the same day. I guess I won't count on that Thursday being a dive day...
Perfect day for a night dive!

Back
Top Bottom