Covid-19 infection on a liveaboard at the Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After visiting Costa Rica & Mexico in comparison to my home country, I can see different attitudes towards this pandemic among them than at home. Sadly to say that we have more mask wearing deniers here.

Well I originally only wanted to spread some information. I did not think that I will get involved with people pressing their own opinion on others. But it strikes me when the people pushing the hardest live in the country with most deniers worldwide. These people would be better using their knowledge to educate their fellow citizens...

The current situation has not changed a bit!
We in Hong Kong still has nearly daily imported cases from people arriving even with negative testing result. They were picked up at the airport and now being treated properly.

This virus is still spreading by International travelling. Period.

Can you please post me a source to this information? You are literally saying that all new infections are "imported" to HK by international travellers. So you think without those arrivals the virus would be contained?

Can you please post me a source to this information? You are literally saying that all new infections are "imported" to HK by international travellers. So you think without those arrivals the virus would be contained?
Try reading the post again - it did not say that at all!

Well this is still how I understand it. Probably my English. Maybe let us wait for their reply.
No need to wait.

You said that they were “literally saying that all new infections are "imported" to HK by international travellers.”

They did not say that at all. They said that they were still seeing nearly daily cases from international travelers - even those that had negative PCR tests before arrival.

I’m not surprised as a negative PCR test within 72 hours before arrival is no guarantee that you are not infected on arrival

The amusing thing about this thread is that here seemingly a few people are venting their personal frustration and envy upon the fact that other people are travelling abroad.
At the same time a similar post at taucher.net has resulted in solely positive reactions thanking for the information it contains and not even one single "why are people travelling during a pandemic" comment, despite Germans being really picky sometimes.

No need to wait.

You said that they were “literally saying that all new infections are "imported" to HK by international travellers.”

They did not say that at all. They said that they were still seeing nearly daily cases from international travelers - even those that had negative PCR tests before arrival.

I’m not surprised as a negative PCR test within 72 hours before arrival is no guarantee that you are not infected on arrival

Okay let us do some math then.
The population of the Maldives is about 300.000. They have about 1.000 active cases today, less than 0,5%. Approximately 50 new cases per day.
So with estimated 10.000 arrivals per week how would this support the claim that international travellers are carrying in the infections?
These numbers are available at the website of the Maldivian Ministry of Health.
Can you post some statistics that support your claims?

Okay let us do some math then.
The population of the Maldives is about 300.000. They have about 1.000 active cases today, less than 0,5%. Approximately 50 new cases per day.
So with estimated 10.000 arrivals per week how would this support the claim that international travellers are carrying in the infections?
These numbers are available at the website of the Maldivian Ministry of Health.
Can you post some statistics that support your claims?
Huh? I did not make any claims! I was just correcting your major misinterpretation of the info that @Centrals gave us on continuing imported cases in Hong Kong!

Humans are animals. The rules of viral transmission are the same regardless of species. Humans populations experience much wider spread of viral pandemics than other animals precisely because of our abilities to move around the planet. Timber wolves and bats don't fly half way around the world to dive.

Not sure what's degrading about that.

I don't have any statistics for you.

https://ec.europa.eu/environment/na...rds/birdflue/docs/info_on_avian_influenza.pdf

Interesting article.

I did not say all the infections were spread by tourists! Do not put word in my mouth.
You should not have any problem of checking the FACT.
How do you think the virus was spread in the first place?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom