Covid 19 changes options.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Multiple lakes close by Phoenix area. I was at lake pleasant. The old dam.

PADI Tec 45 and PADI Tec Side Mount Course scheduled for Bonaire mid September rescheduled for September 2021. Delta cancelled my flights. Looking like Bonaire air space will closed to americans for awhile. I reckon I can admit this here. I do PADI Tec 40 dives solo side mount which means not more than 10 minutes of deco solo. Curious to know if there are other solo divers out there that deco solo?

Just completed my SDI Solo course and PADI Self Reliant Diver course as my LDS offers both. I found it to be a very good course with a lot of skills and applications to make solo diving safe and enjoyable. I found it more challenging than the Rescue diver course but also fun and a lot of one of one feedback.

Just completed my SDI Solo course and PADI Self Reliant Diver course as my LDS offers both. I found it to be a very good course with a lot of skills and applications to make solo diving safe and enjoyable. I found it more challenging than the Rescue diver course but also fun and a lot of one of one feedback.
Hello. Curious, why you would take both?
Cheers.

Hello. Curious, why you would take both?
Cheers.
All of my courses with the exception of visual tank inspection were PADI, tank inspection was SDI. If I was to venture into Tec it would likely be through TDI and I read that some dive centres don't accept "Self Reliant Diver". The cost was negligible and the manual used for both was SDI and I figured this was a good time to cross train/certify.

All of my courses with the exception of visual tank inspection were PADI, tank inspection was SDI. If I was to venture into Tec it would likely be through TDI and I read that some dive centres don't accept "Self Reliant Diver". The cost was negligible and the manual used for both was SDI and I figured this was a good time to cross train/certify.
I was unaware.....Thanks, for the information.
Cheers.

All the time!

...I read that some dive centres don't accept "Self Reliant Diver".

Hi Cdncoldwater,

Your statement above used to be absolutely correct. Lately, I have not found that to be the case. I think the tide turned when SDI/TDI published their equivalency charts. As for PADI, they always advertised the course as an independent or diving "alone" course. They did stress being self-reliant in a buddy pair or while diving with a team. I have found that diving self-reliant with a buddy or a team is really smart. I am glad they stressed diving in a "solo" state of mind with solo rigging while being a dedicated buddy.

Attitudes change over time.

Attitudes really have changed! I used to get guffaws and push-back when I asked to solo off a boat. Now, I don't even get a reaction in many cases. Positive or negative. I get the old: "Yeah, whatever!"

Recreational Sport Diver Equivalences - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI
TDI Equivalent Ratings with Other Scuba Diving Agencies - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI

Note: TDI indicates that PADI's Tech 40 does not include deco which is not true. I learned to do 10 minutes of decompression with PADI's Tech 40. "You will qualify to make limited decompression dives to 40 metres/130 feet." Tec 40 | PADI

Self-Reliant Diver | PADI

We really have come a long way since the dark ages when little old ladies and weasels (professors) would report me to the skipper for diving solo.

I remember getting into arguments with PADI instructors who insisted that PADI would never have a solo cert. I would then show them PADI's Self Reliant page and read the multiple times the description used words like "alone" "independently", separately, and etc.

Times really have changed.

As for SARS-Cov-2, I haven't changed anything regarding my diving. Wearing facial underwear while boarding and disembarking the boat is the only difference.

cheers,
m²V2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom