Covid-19 and Cayman travel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get it.. Have you seen the sea forecast for the week ahead??? Arghhh.
That being said, we are so fortunate to be here right now..

Everyday the Chicken tells me that I am so very very lucky to be sitting on the porch of paradise. But then that Lizard starts shouting “OMG, have you looked at Windfinder this week? Everyday is like glass. Screw the authorities! Get out there and annoy some fish!”

What is the reef or beach that you refer to? We snorkel a lot in the afternoons after morning dives.

There is a small but nice reef just off of where we live on SMB. But we are snorkeling there mostly out of convenience as the lock-down/curfew is preventing us from driving to where we would rather snorkel (Smith Bacadere and Macabuca are two of our favorites). There are small reefs like this all up and down the beach, anywhere from 100 to 150 yards or so off shore - not to be confused with the shallow reef wall that's more like 500 yards off shore where we live. We also walk up to Gouvernor's Beach occasionally as it is a better place to snorkel than where we live.

If you are just looking for someplace good to snorkel (and you are not here now under the curfew and driving restrictions) then see KathyV's post above about Testudo's Guide

Well the government helicopter just flew over for the second time this morning. They have spent the morning going back and forth between the Brac and Little Cayman so I guess they are really serious about this hard curfew. However I bet if I still have that big chicken costume I could roam all over this island and blend right in with the greatest of ease.

+1 for @KathyV suggestion of Testudo’s Guide. Unbelievably great resource.

Thanks, but I forgot about the Cayman curfew. Here at home we are able to walk or drive to places for outdoor recreation, as long as they aren't closed and you stay distant from others. Hopefully folks will be able to move about more freely soon everywhere.

Well the government helicopter just flew over for the second time this morning. They have spent the morning going back and forth between the Brac and Little Cayman so I guess they are really serious about this hard curfew. However I bet if I still have that big chicken costume I could roam all over this island and blend right in with the greatest of ease.

I just read that they've confirmed the first case of Covid-19 on Brac so maybe it's health officials visiting the island.

We are supposed to get a clarification this afternoon from the Premier as to whether or not swimming and snorkeling are included as part of banned “marine activities.”

A few people were swimming yesterday.

We did hear the police boat that has been patrolling the coast throw a paddle boarder (our neighbor in the next building) out of the ocean on Friday.

SMB has been totally deserted today, so full lockdown seems to be working.

Government just announced that swimming is allowed, but not snorkeling, diving, paddleboarding, kayaking or any boating activities. I can’t see the difference between snorkeling and swimming, but it is what it is.

It's a start.

Government just announced that swimming is allowed, but not snorkeling, diving, paddleboarding, kayaking or any boating activities. I can’t see the difference between snorkeling and swimming, but it is what it is.
Swim with goggles, or a mask on. Not too hard to make occasional excursions below the surface without a snorkel. Officer, I was just swimming, protecting my eyes from the salt water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom