Covid-19 and Cayman travel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw the restriction to 90 minutes of outdoor activity and wondered if snorkeling at Smith cove or Freediving would be included in that.

You can snorkel anywhere (or walk or shop for food) from 5 am to 7 pm as long as you are out of your house only 90 minutes per day, do not gather in groups of more than 2, and keep your social distance from others. And we are not supposed to drive anywhere other than to buy food or for health reasons. Not sure how you would get to sufficient depth to do freediving as all boating is forbidden. Although I did do a 50 foot freedive on our 20' reef this morning: 50 feet long, 10 feet deep.

You can snorkel anywhere (or walk or shop for food) from 5 am to 7 pm as long as you are out of your house only 90 minutes per day, do not gather in groups of more than 2, and keep your social distance from others. And we are not supposed to drive anywhere other than to buy food or for health reasons. Not sure how you would get to sufficient depth to do freediving as all boating is forbidden. Although I did do a 50 foot freedive on our 20' reef this morning: 50 feet long, 10 feet deep.

Isn't there a reef just off of Don Fosters? Assuming you could get there I was thinking you could swim out and dive that reef. It may not be as easy at that, but I dove the Kittywake with them a few years ago and they mentioned they had a good house reef in 40 feet of water. Planned to check it out in July.

The Premiere there isn't messing around. Locking down the folks coming back to the island from England for 14 days in government run rooms. Assuming they can stop it from spreading it makes sense to lock it down tight until it burns itself out, hopefully by end of June but probably not.

The shore dives like Fosters, turtle reef, and lighthouse are swimable I suppose, as you dive out to the reefs from shore. I tried snorkeling turtle before and the surface current can be a bit much so I stay closer to shore- or just dive it, which I prefer.

Where we live mid-SMB the closest reef is about 150 yards off the beach and extends out just into the boat channel at 200 yards. It’s about another 200 to the shallow wall, but I’m not sure if we’re allowed to swim in the boat channel (and we of course would not when boating in allowed). The police are the only ones out there these days patrolling the beach.

Non diving friends vs Diving friends
Since I have ok internet connections, I have been keeping in touch with family
and friends to let them know I am still stuck here and send the occasional picture. So the other day I sent this picture and was whining about the curfew and lack of diving.
My non diving friends look at the picture and just don’t understand why I am upset. “Look at the beautiful ocean, so what if you can’t dive, just enjoy the view” they say.
On the other hand, my diving friends really, really understand and totally get it. As a result they just look at the picture and

upload_2020-4-3_18-22-28.jpeg

Laugh and Laugh and Laugh....

and friends to let them know I am still stuck here and send the occasional picture. So the other day I sent this picture and was whining about the curfew and lack of diving.
My non diving friends look at the picture and just don’t understand why I am upset. “Look at the beautiful ocean, so what if you can’t dive, just enjoy the view” they say.
On the other hand, my diving friends really, really understand and totally get it. As a result they just look at the picture and Laugh and Laugh and Laugh....

I here ya!

Where are you staying?

Now that boating is illegal, my wife and I have been snorkeling out to the boat channel off SMB. A couple of nice reefs, and lots of marine life. Not quite diving, but at least we get into the water.

I'm trying to figure out how to get an air tank and do some shore diving. Hoping they'll let some of the truly essential businesses like Divers Supply or Pure Air open up before they get everything back to normal.

We signed up with the government in case they arrange a flight back to the US, but right now there ain't no place I'd rather be than here.

On the other hand, my diving friends really, really understand and totally get it. As a result they just look at the picture and

View attachment 578468

Laugh and Laugh and Laugh....
I get it.. Have you seen the sea forecast for the week ahead??? Arghhh.
That being said, we are so fortunate to be here right now..

Right now, in keeping with Government curfews, regulations, and the need to keep folks off the roads and at home etc, I'm limiting snorkeling to areas I can easily get to by means of walking. Being in Governors Harbour on a canal, gives me easy access to 7MB or the canal itself.

Right now, in keeping with Government curfews, regulations, and the need to keep folks off the roads and at home etc, I'm limiting snorkeling to areas I can easily get to by means of walking. Being in Governors Harbour on a canal, gives me easy access to 7MB or the canal itself.

We have been doing the same. The premier implied in his daily briefing yesterday (although he did not answer directly) that you should not be driving to some place to "exercise" (which includes swimming/snorkeling) and that it would be a violation of the spirit of the curfew and possibly subject to prosecution depending on the mercy of the police who stopped you en route. #stayhomecayman

What is the reef or beach that you refer to? We snorkel a lot in the afternoons after morning dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom