Cove 2 Divers Being Stupid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Oh, I know ...

A 6-foot by 12-foot, flashing neon sign mounted above a gate that the diver has to pass through to get to the dive site. In order to open the gate, you must sign a waiver stating that you have read and understood the giant sign flashing above your head.

Fines for each infraction would be $1,000 per offense plus confiscation of your dive gear.

That might get some folks to pay attention ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Better put one at Edmonds, too, warning divers that the current might wash them into the ferry.

I think the only solution is to require each diver to wear a shock collar to that when they get within 150' of the pier, it delivers a low volt high amp shock...... It works for dogs, so it should work for divers right?

I believe we are seeing Darwin's evolutionary theories at play for scuba divers. It's not just stupidity but it seems sometimes that people think what's happening around them is actually on TV, that even the basic rules of common sense or courtesy don't apply because if things get too out of hand they can change the channel or go to commercial. I see this all the time in traffic...and sometimes in danger sports.

Sasquatch:
I believe we are seeing Darwin's evolutionary theories at play for scuba divers. It's not just stupidity but it seems sometimes that people think what's happening around them is actually on TV, that even the basic rules of common sense or courtesy don't apply because if things get too out of hand they can change the channel or go to commercial. I see this all the time in traffic...and sometimes in danger sports.

Well, I'm just hoping we don't have to prove out the "Survival of the fittest" portion of that theory. When divers meet spinning props, divers lose every time.

JDR:
Well, I'm just hoping we don't have to prove out the "Survival of the fittest" portion of that theory. When divers meet spinning props, divers lose every time.

Did you ever see the movie Speed 2? The dive scene is always good for a laugh.

Here's a thought: mandatory classes *at* the dive site every new diver has to take whether his buddy has already or not. Then they get a test and a card if they pass. They flash the card on subsequent visits and if they still cross the line get it revoked. Re-test every 1-5 years or whatever.

The shock collar would be effective as well lol.

Nope just get JDR to move in at cove 2 and hawk all the divers and those who are in violation of the rules get slapped with a fine or community service. People are just going to do what people are going to do and the only way you'll get their attention is hurt them where they might care, their pocketbook.

So Uncle Pug, how about deupitizing JDR and any one else for that matter.

Sorta like: "Let me, let you, let me continue to dive at cove 2;" because if I didnt I wouldnt be able to dive cove 2 because you let yourself cross that line.

puckvirus:
Nope just get JDR to move in at cove 2 and hawk all the divers and those who are in violation of the rules get slapped with a fine or community service. People are just going to do what people are going to do and the only way you'll get their attention is hurt them where they might care, their pocketbook.

So Uncle Pug, how about deupitizing JDR and any one else for that matter.

Sorta like: "Let me, let you, let me continue to dive at cove 2;" because if I didnt I wouldnt be able to dive cove 2 because you let yourself cross that line.

Trust me on this one ... the "self-appointed scuba police" approach doesn't work.

The best thing to do is just try to talk to offending divers as they leave the water ... calmly and rationally. Explain to them the danger, and that their action may end up costing us all access to the cove.

Many will appreciate that you're looking out for their best interest ... some won't.

... Bob (Grateful diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Trust me on this one ... the "self-appointed scuba police" approach doesn't work.

The best thing to do is just try to talk to offending divers as they leave the water ... calmly and rationally. Explain to them the danger, and that their action may end up costing us all access to the cove.

Many will appreciate that you're looking out for their best interest ... some won't.

... Bob (Grateful diver)

Yes, there's nothing like talking to a diver who claims that the rules don't apply to him because "he was diving there long before the ferry moved in". And I love talking to the ones who spend the entire dive under the pier and then claim they didn't know where they were at until they surfaced. Unfortunately, talking to the Harbor Patrol about either one would reflect badly on the dive community. The "lost divers" are the ones who truly lost bother me. Why would anyone who admits they get lost underwater, dive next to a restricted, possibly hazardous, zone?

JDR:
Why would anyone who admits they get lost underwater, dive next to a restricted, possibly hazardous, zone?

Because they were certified there, so they go to dive there.

There's clearly an issue with the instructors not passing on adequate warnings to their students.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom