Courses to complement Solo course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tx_Jeff:
eponym:
And by bluewater you mean . . .
Meaning the crystal clear waters of the oceans', but more specifically, no salt water
Well, I'd say some ocean diving might expand your perspective on soloing, especially if the water isn't all that clear. In low visibility it's not unusual to surface some distance from the boat. And most normal sea states (anything but calm) present their own challenges.

My compliments on your work in the fire services, Jeff.

-Bryan

Caver95:
Why take a course in solo diving?

I see this question a lot and it surprises me that people ask it, but I guess it is all a matter or perspective.

Many divers (unlike me) live in places that have unlimted access to "self serve" diving where you can dive with or without whomever you please and with whatever equipment you please.

However, if you are going on a dive trip overseas, or diving locally with an operation, having the certificaton is the best chance you have of conducting sanctioned solo dives, especially if the dive service is SDI/TDI compliant...If they teach the course, they have to allow the activity...

JAG

Tx_Jeff:
I haven't ever considered myself a cert collector, and have spent the last 8 years gaining experience by diving with divers that have more or better skills than myself, and due to family and career commitments I have just now gotten to the point where I can afford to pursue my diving experience/certs further. I plan on getting as much dive time as possible, whenever possible. Heck I'm off of work 48 hours out of every 72 and never need an excuse to dive.

Didn't mean to imply anything by it. :wink:

Having taken the SDI course, I would say that the course structure was weak in my opinion. The text is crap in my opinion, nothing of any real substance for me. I can't say for sure, but I had the feeling that the SDI instructors are givena lot of leeway in how and what they teach in the course. In my case, there was a lot of concentration on skills to survive various in water emergencies, which was great.

However, one area I found deficient in hindsight was the importatn topic of gas management. With that in mind, the course as it was taught to me would benefit from another course that delves into this more. I am taking the DIR-F course in a few weeks, which I understand covers this topic well.

JAG

jagfish:
Having taken the SDI course, I would say that the course structure was weak in my opinion. The text is crap in my opinion, nothing of any real substance for me.
I haven't taken the course, partially because I have read the text and agree 100%, and partially because it's not offered in my area. The book is really, really, bad.

First of all ther is one thing you need to have to solo dive.... Self Confidence.
If You are positive you can do it you are probably correct.
If you think your ready to try it, your not.

That said, there are 3 skills you need to have,

1. Navigaton, If you get lost your on your own.

2. Self rescue, you are the only one around who can or even might be able to help you.

3. Familiarity with your equipment, especially the redundancy.

For navigation, take the AOW
For self rescue take the rescue course
For redundant equip configurations, take a deco class and an equipment class.

Then make sure you learn all of it before diving solo.

TT :wink:

Freediving - knowing your breathing holding capabilities will help you remain calm in the event of a no air situation - absolute necessity if you are alone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom