Courses to complement Solo course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tx_Jeff:
I am very interested in enrolling in a solo course. My lds recommends decompression diver (TDI/SDI) along with the solo course. Can anyone recommend any other courses they have taken that would be benificial?
Why take a course in solo diving?

Hmm . . . I see from your profile that you're pursuing DM status. I assume you've taken
a Stress & Rescue course already?

You profile says you're working on DM, but doesn't say how long you've been diving. You also say you've not dove "bluewater"--meaning non-coastal?

-Bryan

In addition to rescue, I would recommend cavern/cave for a prospective solo diver. The deco/advanced nitrox course is excellent also, since you will need to be proficient with a stage or pony bottle to be a solo diver.

theskull

I would think any technical course would be beneficial. Event more so, as many rescue course as possible. I also think freediving courses are very advantageous as a lot of free diving is done solo. Don't over look a navigation course, night/low visibility and advanced planning courses.

Tx_Jeff:
I am very interested in enrolling in a solo course. My lds recommends decompression diver (TDI/SDI) along with the solo course. Can anyone recommend any other courses they have taken that would be benificial?

You may want to see the instructor that will be teaching the deco course before enrolling in solo. Since much of the solo course material is covered in the deco procedures course he may offer some add-on benefits for a solo certification.
Better to pay for 1 1/2 courses than 2.
A good diver is always learning and there are tons of courses you may enjoy. My recommendation is to take your time. It is better to gain experience at each training level than to become a c-card collector.

Caver95:
Why take a course in solo diving?
To become a more proficient diver.
In the fire service they teach the buddy system, and then you go on to learn self survival, just in case you get seperated and into a bad situation. I figured that I would take a simular approach with diving.

eponym:
Hmm . . . I see from your profile that you're pursuing DM status. I assume you've taken
a Stress & Rescue course already?
I am currnetly entered in the rescue course, my LDS offers this as part of the DM if you don't already have it.

eponym:
You profile says you're working on DM, but doesn't say how long you've been diving.
Since 1996
eponym:
You also say you've not dove "bluewater"--meaning non-coastal?
Meaning the crystal clear waters of the oceans', but more specifically, no salt water

wedivebc:
You may want to see the instructor that will be teaching the deco course before enrolling in solo. Since much of the solo course material is covered in the deco procedures course he may offer some add-on benefits for a solo certification.
Better to pay for 1 1/2 courses than 2.
That was what he basically told me when I talked to him, and I hope he would give me some sort of discount seeing how I have been using his shop for my diving needs since I was originally certified in '96, instead of going to some of the others that sometimes had the better $.
wedivebc:
A good diver is always learning and there are tons of courses you may enjoy. My recommendation is to take your time. It is better to gain experience at each training level than to become a c-card collector.
I haven't ever considered myself a cert collector, and have spent the last 8 years gaining experience by diving with divers that have more or better skills than myself, and due to family and career commitments I have just now gotten to the point where I can afford to pursue my diving experience/certs further. I plan on getting as much dive time as possible, whenever possible. Heck I'm off of work 48 hours out of every 72 and never need an excuse to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom