Course for an uncertified diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSI have an experienced diver test :
"The Experienced Diver Test is intended for divers that have lost proof of certification, or were trained as a military,
commercial, lifeguard or scientific diver. The diver must provide proof of open water diving experience before conducting
the Experienced Diver Test. "

It's the OW test with 80% of good answers, a pool session, a fitness test and 2 OW dives.

With that, it's super official.

I haven't seen anything like that in PADI standards. But I'd do what all the others suggest, let him read the OW manual, do the exam, sign the paperwork and do a skills circuit.

My son is an Air Force Para Rescueman (PJ). After completing all of his required military dive training in Panama Beach, FL. he was issued a NAUI Rescue Diver cert card for his recreational dive purposes.

My son is an Air Force Para Rescueman (PJ). After completing all of his required military dive training in Panama Beach, FL. he was issued a NAUI Rescue Diver cert card for his recreational dive purposes.

I'm not naui so I have no idea of their standards, but your son had already a proof of training, which is not the case here :)

I've skipped EFR because of an higher cert from another emergency responder agency, but I had the training !

NAUI has an experienced diver class which gives OW equivalent (Scuba Diver, their OW cert), for prior military, commercial, scientific, or no formal training. Prerequisite is proof of 25 open water dives. You do skills in pool/confined and then open. With at least two open water dives if time or conditions do not permit doing the full four. Classroom minimum of 1 hour. Exam. Swimming fitness. Basically mirroring everything for OW, except just doing the final tests not the teaching it first.

@Trailboss123, one if his instructors was likely a NAUI instructor as well as a military one. There is no special military clause in the NAUI RD standards, just I am sure he more than adequately completed the class room training, practical training needed and likely had a test that was the standard NAUI test, or one suitably similar. I would say PJ easily supersedes RD requirements.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anything like that in PADI standards. But I'd do what all the others suggest, let him read the OW manual, do the exam, sign the paperwork and do a skills circuit.
It's not in current standards but I know they used to have an "Experience Diver" test similar to SSI. Would be best to contact them directly. I'm sure it's not in the published standards for obvious reasons.

NAUI also has an Experienced Diver Course to provide certification to "divers" like northernones friend. I've never conducted this course because in all cases persons so situated elected to go through the entire OW course in the interest of safety. Guess they recognized while they knew how to dive they did not understand the science and the finer points.

not sure why this is a problem , ALL the agencies have a program to address this .issue (instructors should all know how to do it )...I have done a dozen over the years ...... the course is just to pass the exam and OW ..let him write the exam make him do a few skills needed and cert him easy peasy he DOESNT have to do the whole program A-Z

... am concerned my agency might frown upon the logical way to handle this situation.

It's like airlines saying that you can't check or carry-on open empty tanks. How are they going to know?

Thanks all.

Was hoping for the logical human aspect of this, I wasn't disappointed. I'll lay out what is involved and if he'd like me to do the incantations so be it next time I'm south (DEMA?), otherwise I'll pass him off.

For doing things by book, PADI HQ says exam and 4 OW dives. Sounds like a good excuse for a dive weekend, but is a bit of a hassle.

@Akimbo that seems the logical approach CMAS took, I'm not aware of another majority agency who officially offers this courtesy.

@Kharon Unless someone complains instructor's integrity is trusted to verify paperwork and training is up to standards. We have good autonomy provided we stay within the guidelines. I'm with you on this one logically, but bending standards is a slippy slope in this industry. I don't make the rules, just try to live with them.

Cheers!
Cameron

P.s. y'all aren't as grumpy as you look!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom