Course for an uncertified diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Not my forum but asking for a friend.

A friend of mine has been diving close to 5 decades without a cert. His fill station connection passed away and he's having trouble getting fills now. Wants me to do his OW training. Hesitant to teach someone who's a better diver and fairly headstrong with his dive habits in a basic class. Is that just the recipe for a bad time? Could refer him to a stranger of similar experience perhaps, he's in Florida.

Regards,
Cameron

Last edited:
Isn't there something called an Experienced Diver certification for this kind of thing. An Instructor reviews the relevant knowledge, takes the person on some dives and if everything is skippy, grants a card.

It might be worth checking out PADI's info. They seem to have courses for literally everything.

Isn't there something called an Experienced Diver certification for this kind of thing. An Instructor reviews the relevant knowledge, takes the person on some dives and if everything is skippy, grants a card.

It might be worth checking out PADI's info. They seem to have courses for literally everything.

That's certainly the logical approach I'd think. Thank you. Cameron

+1 for scrane's suggestion. You know he's a good diver with way better skills than an OW student getting checked out. Do the paper & do a couple of dives.

At least he has an instructor friend, I didn't. After 17 years of diving I wasn't real happy about being in an OW class, but I needed to get air away from my connections.

Bob

I'm not sure I understand. It sounds like you know he is a competent diver. Why can't you have him do the online course work and send him a card?

Does he just dive locally? I was in the same situation so friends gave me some cards decades ago.

He's diving peacefully off his own boat.

Speaking candidly in a public forum I personally like that option but am concerned my agency might frown upon the logical way to handle this situation.

I'll puzzle this one out privately but thank you all for confirming my thought process.

Regards,
Cameron

SSI have an experienced diver test :
"The Experienced Diver Test is intended for divers that have lost proof of certification, or were trained as a military,
commercial, lifeguard or scientific diver. The diver must provide proof of open water diving experience before conducting
the Experienced Diver Test. "

It's the OW test with 80% of good answers, a pool session, a fitness test and 2 OW dives.

With that, it's super official.

I haven't seen anything like that in PADI standards. But I'd do what all the others suggest, let him read the OW manual, do the exam, sign the paperwork and do a skills circuit.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom