Couples doing together diving course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I say go for it. When my fiance was doing her open water, I was DMing her class. She was fun to work with, gave us great things to talk about, and makes diving so much more enjoyable. Plus, I'm so proud of her - I'm always like "yeah she's only acquired her OW cert, but she's a heck of a great diver"...and she is.

My wife and I have completed all of our classes together including Rescue and didn't really have any issues. She is my permanent buddy and best friend but like others have said, it all depends on what type of individuals you both are. Good luck with your decision.

Hi,

My wife and I started scuba together and have been tight buddies since.

Our initial OW pool training was separate to start with until it was clear what our competence and comfort levels were, and it gave the instructors a chance to see how we interacted in a training setting.

Near the end of OW, and ever since (OW open water dives, AOW, wreck, drysuit, nitrox to date) we have trained together, which is good since we dive together.

You will have to know, understand, and accomodate each other's learning styles and progress rates. My wife and I have both been teachers at various times in our careers, so we understand pedagogical theory and how to detect and respond to learning styles (though even with that said, it takes some self-control self-awareness to step back in the middle of it and do that for oneself!).

My own fundamental belief is that you should be able to train with your primary buddy, else you have a bigger problem! That said, it may not be easy to find the right rhythm, but it is important to find out how to make it work.

Cheers,
Walter

In my experience the diving class really does increase the pressure and it may have an effect on a relationship. I had some fights with my girl battling against her feeling of insecurity and refusal to ask questions to help with the better understanding of what's required during skills. She focused on simply getting the course done.

Anyway, with increased pressure you'll get the usual results you get with your partner. If you don't fight that much normally, you won't have any problems. But I wouldn't recommend trying to save a rocky relationship with a diving course. Can lead to disaster.

My wife and I have taken OW and AOW together. We had a great time! In fact, our AOW courses were some of our favorite dives together. We have a great time, and I think we help encourage each other to do better. I'm taking ice diving without her, but that's only because she doesn't have any interest in this type of diving.
I think it really helps you become great buddies. I miss her as my "normal" buddy when I'm diving with someone else.

Al Mialkovsky:
As an instructor I expect that the male half of the couple is all to often going to give me a headache. After all guys know things and want to appear the expert. Even if he doesn't know anything.

My advice is to listen to the instructor and let him correct "her" mistakes, your help isn't required.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Advice from a man of experience.

We did OW and AOW together. No problem.
I just did everything she told me to do. :)

Girlfriend and I OW certified in 2002, in a cold dark quarry. I passed all skills, but she had problems taking her mask off and clearing again. No problem, went to Bonaire as planned and she did her final tests there. Since then, we have been to Cozumel 3 times, Roatan once, have 70 dives under our belts and we now use the same amount of air on a dive. It is a good feeling to be doing something you love with the one you love. (Sorry, sounds kinda sappy but true)

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I did open water cert. with my wife this year. We got hooked after doing a bunch of snorkeling in the Florida Keys and Dry Tortugas on our 25th wedding anniversary trip. It was a great experience. We're planning a trip to CoCoView in May for our first diving vacation. The entire experience has been great! Including the the final OW dives in a freshwater lake at 40 degrees in an endless downpour of rain, and visibility in the lake of 10 feet at best. Well maybe I could have passed on those conditions for the OW cert. dive...... :wink:

I was certified with my wife in June. Would recomend it to anyone. Our open water cert dives were in 7mm suits, hoods and at times almost zero visibility(we all had to hold hands at times). Probably a good way to learn.

We enjoyed it and have fond memories of the experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom