County begins plans for Morrison Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aries52:
The primary official involved is Walton County Comissioner Scott Brannon. ...
Shirl Williams was asking him to put me on the committee too. I've sent some information through her but she says everything is kinda slow. She said the boardwalk idea may not happen for years, but the boat launches are a higher priority and could happen soon. They are getting approval for the master plan from the state and looking at the demolition aspect for some of the existing buildings. No meetings have been scheduled yet but she says there is plenty of time for public input.

SeaYoda:
Shirl Williams [snip] said the boardwalk idea may not happen for years, but the boat launches are a higher priority and could happen soon.

I personally didn't see much need for the "boardwalk" down to the water
from the parking area. I wasn't really sure why they were doing it, except
if it was to make getting to the water more ADA friendly. Since I think it
was going to have steps at the end of the boardwalk into the water, that
part didn't meet ADA guidelines regardless.

I mean 99% of the divers out there can walk on the hard packed sand
to the water from where you park.

They are getting approval for the master plan from the state and looking at the demolition aspect for some of the existing buildings.

why are they tearing down the buildings? are they just in bad need of repair?

I know when we were there they were talking about tearing down the "picnic"
type pavillion in the center area. I couldn't figure that either. It looked like
it wsa in good shape.

If they tear down the other buildings, I hope they are planning on rebuilding
some bathrooms or bath houses.

I think the most important thing to do is to create the new boat launch area
to isolate the launching of boats and people swimming and diving. It's
just a saftey hazzard.

Shirl also said "if ever it gets built" on the boardwalk. Public comment may be able to derail that issue especially if people want to keep the spring natural looking.

Shirl did not say which building or how many will be demolished - it may only be the pavilion for all I know. I heard them say when we were there that they want better access to the "beach" area (I guess that means more room and a better view) so they want to take it down.

It sounds like things will be moving very slowly, I just want to be able to be there when the spurts of activity happen.

If they take out the pavillion, they'll have to knock down that wall also.
(otherwise some redneck in a pickup truck will drive over the edge of it
trying to get to the water)

The wall kind of invites people to drive onto the beach and gear up on the benches built into the wall. Thats what I do normally, but I understand if they'd want to keep people from driving on the beaches.

The pavillion seems to be in fine shape as is, but if they want to put something bigger up with tables and benches :D

They did say that day that they would take the wall down as well as the pavilion. If they don't get approval, I guess it will all stay. They seem to want to stop the traffic down by the beach so taking away the gearing up area will be necessary. I prefer having no traffic on the beach for my safety (as well as the kiddies who play there) and for the view. It will discourage boats from being launched there too if the traffic stops flowing.

I got word today that there's supposed to be some kind of public meeting concerning Morrison on Dec. 14. I'm trying to get more info and will keep you posted.

Looking forward to more info.

aries52:
I got word today that there's supposed to be some kind of public meeting concerning Morrison on Dec. 14. I'm trying to get more info and will keep you posted.
Carla told me today that you had told her about this meeting. I'm supposed to hear from Shirl when they have their meetings - she has my email address. So far I haven't heard anything.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom