Could you do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IceIce:
I didn't read all the posts, but what is the difference with the thread earlier? Why this similar thread?

I still have to answer that I will let the buddy go up to the surface alone, if he/she is a stranger. I might regret it later if something bad happened to her, but I don't see that I can provide good help if I was injured. Different with good friend or family, I'll go up with them, I guess it's different about how we see things in different situation and who the person involved. The main reason about why I would risk myself by riding up with someone I know because I can say that I know their ability and I'm sure if they can help it, they wouldn't do that. For strangers, I don't know whether they are fooling around and end up risking themselves and others, and I certainly wouldn't want to risk my life for this reason.
You say "Frank and well put"...and I say, I wouldn't dive with you or if I did...I wouldn't trust you for anything (might as well be solo)

JeffG:
You say "Frank and well put"...and I say, I wouldn't dive with you or if I did...I wouldn't trust you for anything (might as well be solo)

I have to agree with Jeff and Onfloat.

I am my buddies keeper!

I do pick my dive buddies and unless he is waving me off as he is in the jaws of the landlord I will try my best to help both of us get home.

Rule #1 Should keep you from getting in that situation in the first place....but that's for another forum

Ben_ca:
I have to agree with Jeff and Onfloat.

I am my buddies keeper!

I do pick my dive buddies and unless he is waving me off as he is in the jaws of the landlord I will try my best to help both of us get home.

Rule #1 Should keep you from getting in that situation in the first place....but that's for another forum

What if it's someone who just swims up and muggs you for your reg?

I know it's unlikely, but it has happened...

jeckyll:

Then it would be a recreational dive (I just can't see that happening otherwise), so I would still follow them up.

I just can't see how someone can say they would let someone go to the surface under duress.

jeckyll:

My big concern there is going to be protecting my backup regulator, as long as I can breathe its all good...

lamont:
My big concern there is going to be protecting my backup regulator, as long as I can breathe its all good...

I thought those would be the answers ...

Which reminds me that I've been meaning to swap the yellow cover on my secondary to something less likely to get grabbed.

You have a Secondary Reg and If that is a problem you have an Inflator Fill your BC breath from the Inflator it will not take long to get to the surface just tilt your head back open your throat and enjoy the ride. Your BC if it has release valves will let go the excess and you still have some to breathe. you may have to use the tongue guard to block water from the inflator but hey, you still have air if needed. If you get the bends, it is better than being dead from Lung overex or just drowing.

I am sure the person that just ripped your regulator from you doesn't care about YOUR life at the time. but One of you has to remain calm.

As for Tangles. I carry 2 blades on me. One on my Leg one on my BC that folds easy open, both serrated. if I can't get to one to cut the tangle I can get to the other. Plus there is an Extra to let my Buddy do some cutting to free themselves and make the experience as short as possible.

Be a boyscout under water, always be prepared. This requires a certian extent of pecimisim to plan for something bad. but aint it grand that conversations like this come up. And in an OOA sitch you should be close enough to your buddy not to have the panic set in too awful.

Yanking your Reg out of someone elses mouth on a rec dive is just calus though. Remember your training. The life you save could be your own.

Thanks for giving me this interesting read. On about my fifth dive my buddies mask just popped off and up he went for some air so I wrapped up his legs and went with him. He kept breathing and after a minute or so of panic on the surface he was OK. We weren't deep (~40fsw) but it was an unfortunate start to diving for me, as he was more experiencd. I always thought that was a stupid thing for me to do, but maybe your instincts are right sometime, as he needed some help getting it together on the surface. I didn't go back to fetch his mask.

Lamont and Jeffg, you guys are right on. Thumbs up back atcha!

R

I mentioned that if it's a stranger, I won't follow him up. My first reaction is to let him/her go up, with that, I'll yank my reg. I explained in my post earlier that I might not have enough time to do the proper response, like dumping his/her air or communicate because, most probably the diver who take your reg and bolt to the surface is a panic diver and everything should happen very fast. I try to look at it realistically.

As I say, if it's my buddy that I know, I will follow them to the surface because I'm sure enough they might have other problem, I might know their style of diving.

If a stranger came and rob my reg, and tried to drag me to the surface, I don't see why should I follow if I could resist. Under many circumstances, I might not be able to resist, as I'm light and wouldn't have enough time to react. But if I could, I honestly would. I might feel guilty later, but that's my reaction.

Fair enough.
I agree to disagree. I don't really want to dive with a person if they expect me to give up my life, unless you are not a stranger.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom