coughing up blood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobb, as Rick said, quitting is no trivial matter. I did it almost five months ago. I made a deal with myself that it was either diving or smoking & I was done with it. To steal a quote from an unremarkable movie, "Decide what you are and be that". I decided that I was not a smoker and quit cold turkey. I still argue with myself about it every day, but I still win. Whether you wuit or not I think that you should have a doc have a look at you, I don't think what you are describing is normal for anyone...

Take care & keep posting!
kate

Bobb - it is really difficult to quit. As Rick said, it's no trivial matter. It is a struggle, so if you can even cut down it's a start. But do get yourself checked by a diving doc.... even a small bit of blood coming up more than once cannot be good. Good luck with everything and let us know how it goes.

I’m 37 now and have been smoking sense I snuck my neighbors mothers cigarettes when I was 11-12 years old. I stopped for 2 years about 10 years ago but now just cant seem to kick the habit even though I want to. I guess my want to stop is smaller than my want to.

Originally posted by Rick Murchison
Bobb,
You won't like what I have to say, but it needs saying. If your upper respiratory system is already in such bad shape that breathing dry air for a half hour is causing bleeding, and you won't quit smoking, you need to quit diving before you get a plugged bronchiole and die from an arterial gas embolism.
Rick

Rick,
Thank you for this explanation! I am a smoker.I've Been going to quit for quite a while now. I've read that our blood carries 5% to 8%less oxygen for 5 to 8 hours after smoking, But I did not find that, or better air consumption enough incentive to seriously work at quiting.I've heard a lot of people say you shouldn't smoke and dive. But when asked why, their answers had to do with air consumption and oxygen uptake.
Your explanation of a plugged bronchiole is quite clear and to the point.

Tanks, Tavi

I found my smoking was relational. So I quit gradually. The first place I quit was in my truck. I quit driving and smoking. I chose another place next and quit there. Finally I watched my dad die of lung cancer and that finished it for me. Two years off the sticks. I do cheat on rare occasion, and I do still have nics, but I get through it.

Tom

If you don't cough up blood when you're not diving - then the cause has got to have something to do with diving.

Most often - without other symptoms, this is due to sinus barotrauma and nosebleed down the back of the throat.

Smoking still might be the cause of this problem due to the rhinitis and sinusitis that it causes. A visit to a good ENT might clear this up for you.

Well of course is seems to be an upper respiratory airway problem, which might be more likely diving related as it happens mostly after a dive.
As it happened more than one time it could not be a severe lower airway problem (barotrauma...)

Than it is more likely an ear nose throat problem.

Those problems are usually mild, just seek a medical advice.

Ciao ciao

Fa:):):)

Back
Top Bottom