coughing up blood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobb

Reaction score
Dear John: I'm leaving you....whoops, sorry, wrong forum..
just kidding....I have a question that I haven't seen on the 6 pages here. I cough up blood (or hack it up) ewwww!!! after diving, doesn't really seem to matter with depth or time...I smoke quite a bit....not going to quit....no pain ever, sometimes I have a little problem equalizing on my descent, but never painful. I just ascend a bit to equalize then continue....
Thanks in advance..

Bobb,
You won't like what I have to say, but it needs saying. If your upper respiratory system is already in such bad shape that breathing dry air for a half hour is causing bleeding, and you won't quit smoking, you need to quit diving before you get a plugged bronchiole and die from an arterial gas embolism.
Rick

You're right Rick...I don't like it...but it isn't really "coughing" up blood, more like "spitting a goober" I guess that's the best way to describe it... I mean, it's not like it bothers me, but I guess, more of a way to clean out my sinuses....????????

Hmmmmm..... I guess if it comes down to it...if I have to quit smoking or diving.....Well, what the heck, you can't use a lighter underwater anyway...and think of the extra tank rentals I'll be able to afford....

more like the extra tank rentals you won't need (due to increased lung efficiency)

Haha,TM and way to go Bobb.... give it up! I smoked, although not too heavily, before starting diving and now I just don't feel the urge any more, although I'll have the occasional puff. In fact, diving has made me virtually give up all my vices (??)- except drinking, but I NEVER mix the two anyway.

:p

I will never trivialize quitting smoking. It is hard. it is really, really hard. The long time smoker is usually an addict in the true sense of the word. Quitting involves great discomfort, but worse than that, the addicted brain will hallucinate - not with images, but with thoughts, with falsehoods as fact.
For example, your brain won't just say "I really want a cigarette" because you can fight that with willpower - but rather your brain will say "You may not really want a cigarette right now, but you ought to have a cigarette. It's the right thing to do. If you don't have a cigarette right now you are bad. Evil. Wrong. And everybody will know you're bad." This is addictive thinking - be prepared for it.
As for the classic "nic fit" - when I quit smoking 14 years ago I had nic fits every ten minutes for a few days, then they began to slack off.. but they've never gone away entirely. I think I've had one within the past month or so - they're down to about two or three a year now.
Be prepared for that, too.
Rick

My uncle coughed up blood tinged mucous right before he was diagnosed with lung cancer. Even in the biggest human chimmnies couging up bloody sputum is not normal-I would have a doctor look at you.

First be sure the blood is coming from the lung and inferior respiratory system not from stomach ( blood mixed with food )or from sinuses,nose (blood in mask).

The tree main diagnoses regarding hemoptysis ( blood coming out of the lungs an inferior respiratory system = bloody sputum ) shortly after surfacing is :
- (1) Pulmonary barotrauma.
- (2) Pulmonary edema after diving.
- (3) Chokes might also be considered.

(1)symptoms are : Bloody from nose or month, Chest pain, Hemoptysis (bloody sputum).
Paralysis or weakness, convulsions, neurological abnormalities may occur in arterial gas embolism.
Sub-coetaneous emphysema or pneumothorax often also happens.

(2) symptoms are : cough, shortness of breath, hemoptysis, disappear within 24 hpurs after a dive

(3) You wont be alive...

Regarding diving medicine (1) Pulmonary barotrauma should be likely.

(2) Is rare but occur in salt water and when immerged and having cardiac problems.
(3) Happen when performing a fast ascent from very deep. (plenty of bubbles within venous pulmonary system ).

But don’t forget there are other causes 'non DIVING RELATED' that can cause it ( not only cancer...)

You should really take care of that and visit a diving physician to rule out a diving related injury (sinus probems...)

But (1) (2)(3) usually leave some remarkable sequels.
Unless you may have experienced a pneumothorax without any other manifestation than hemoptysis.

You should really take care of that and visit a diving physician to rule out a diving related injury.
You should get physical and at least a chest X-ray and/or CT-Scanner if not bronchoscopy.

How are you, did you dive since that problem occurred?
If yes how was it???
If not then visit a doctor first.
Take in consideration what Rick Murchison said above.

Fa:):):)

Thanks again to all for your input...I guess I need to see a doc. and make sure all is ok....I have been diving several times and sometimes theres blood and sometimes not..I can usually produce some..but it's not like it's in my mask ever. as for the x-rays...I just had surgery for gall bladder removal last Nov. or Dec. and they did all the usual testing/x-rays, etc....I think I may have overstated the blood issue, I think it's more from my throat/nose and possibly just from heavy smoking...I always feel fine..etc..
but if it comes down to quitting smoking or diving, I'll quit smoking....no doubt in my mind...I have been nagging my wife for the last year or so to do this....thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom