Costs of diving$$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a sucker for Great Lakes shipwrecks. They might not excite everyone. :wink:

OP, I dive locally as 1. it's what I want to dive. 2. Cheaper. I drive everywhere. No planes! Can take all my own gear. But bottom temps on my dives this weekend in northern Lake Huron will be 40F at 100ft. And I'm diving wet. I'm known as the crazy cold water chick. :D
But the boat rides around here do cost....
If you go locally for two single tank dives for say, $110.- + tips, + driving say an hour at least one way, plus an extra trip fo the tank fills at another time, it does add up....
But I will go visit some of those wrecks eventually... just not that often... And, while doving local, not only is there no flight, there also is no hotel... That changes a little with local trips further away. And if going far, but driveable, say FL if I count wear and tear, maintenance and depreciation per mile, I may be able to fly and rent a car for less what it costs to drive... but I cannot bring my large tanks...

Thanks
I'll make sure to look into that some day when somewhere south with mangroves and time at hand... Does one have to worry about gators (or croqs in the wrong locale... do not want to dive there...)

In Florida I’ve seen gators and crocs in mangroves.

The gators were in brackish water up in fort pierce area. I accidentally caught one when on a nice tarpon bite in a mosquito control ditch.

I’ve seen a couple crocs in mangroves in the Keys over the years. When I was 9 or 10 me and my brother were alongside us1 going into the Keys and we climbed up a pretty big mangrove tree when we got up top dad was watching and noticed a croc sitting 5-10’ into the water watching us. Needless to say he got us down and away rather quickly.

Thanks
I'll make sure to look into that some day when somewhere south with mangroves and time at hand... Does one have to worry about gators (or croqs in the wrong locale... do not want to dive there...)

I've been unlucky with gators...

Never had a proper dive with one. Shared a few brief surface intervals together but they dive solo... or didn't like my cert.

More seriously... For gator safety, talk to a wise local who knows the difference between a safe and dangerous croc (or gator) and who lives where.

Cameron

Thanks, kelemvor,
That's useful info. We are located in Collier County about 15 minutes east of Naples.
I've heard of the Venice site which could be a day trip. South of that is experiencing red tide issues at the moment
which is not uncommon for this time of year. I'll have to check out any free dive sites that I can to get dive time in between
the overnight trips.

It looks like you're just under 3 hours drive time to Venice beach. That's probably the best you can do for a shore dive from Collier. You might have to bite the bullet and pay for a spot on a charter boat (or buy your own boat).

You're only a 3 hour drive from Key Largo, the unofficial "dive capital of the world". More dive sites there than you can shake a stick at, but there are only a couple that do not require paying for a boat ride in the keys. If you like mangroves, there's a nice shore entry in John Pennekamp state park. I spent a day snorkeling there once. Once you're in Key Largo you can take your pick of boat operators and dive sites. You'll find super tourist friendly large boats like the 46' newtons run by Rainbow Reef, small "6 pack" boats, tech diving operators, and everything in between. If I lived in Collier, I'd be driving to Key Largo at least once a month. It's a 5 hour drive for me, and I go a few times a year. Many of the operators will sell "local" packages where you prepay for a bunch of dives and get a cheaper rate. Rainbow Reef charges $80 for a two tank trip. $70 if you buy 3 trips at once, $65 if you buy 5 at once etc. They're a great operation for beginners, as they provide a DM for every group. Captain Slate's starts at $75 for the basic two tanker. There's so many charter boats in this area that I'm sure you can find both cheaper and more expensive.

There are a few dive sites off the shores of Naples, Keewaydin, Marco, or Ten Thousand Islands. They're all boat dives, and I don't know of any shore dives in that area.

There's a "fast boat" ferry that runs from Marco Island to Key West. I think they charge about $150 round trip. Key West Express Official Page | Key West Ferry Service Personally, I'd prefer to dive in Key Largo over Key west but unless you've got a self-driving Tesla it's more work to get to Largo than West. Key West has the Vendenberg wreck. Eventually, you're going to want to dive the Vandy at least once but it can be a challenging dive with strong currents on the way down/up.

There's Lake Okeechobee but that water is super gross. It's also rumored to be full of gators. I wouldn't dive it, no way. It's only 30 minutes closer to you than Key Largo... 3 hours to world class diving or 2.5 hours to nasty gator infested lake water.. I know what I would pick :)

As stated you can do shore dives in Ft Lauderdale or BHB.

There was someone that posted this week they had a personal boat in Key Largo and were looking for dive buddies to offset fuel costs.

If you want to do charter dives for less do some searches on here and the web and you will find package deals. For example Rainbow Reef advertises a 8 pacakge deal for $640 which is 60 per trip.

Try having 4 divers in the family! We actually have 14 divers in our "Friends and Family" group. If we want to boat dive, chartering is cheaper than buying seats. We do MANY shore dives. Yeah, the early drive there and the late drive home (if we want to travel to a less dived location) sucks, but the diving is always great! We have other family in Ave Maria. That sounds like your general area. They drive back and forth daily, to see other family over on the east coast. Make the drive, then go home. Gotta blow bubbles......

I'm in a similar situation to you and for now it's a slow go because the cost upfront can be steep, but I'm building my gear up and will start taking full advantage of the springs in north Florida. Yeah, it's a couple hour drive but once you have your gear, your costs will be air and park entry. You can't really beat it. And no, it may not be as thrilling as some of the stuff you see in the ocean but still not too bad. Fortunately, being in Florida and driving a few hours in most directions will get you to a good dive site, unlike being in some of the landlocked states elsewhere.

You Floridians should consider coming to the ScubaBoard Fallfest Megadive 2018 October 26 - 28. It's a weekend of camping and diving with 50-100 of your closest scubaboard acquaintances at Ginnie Springs. There's a galaxy dive event where most of us get into the cavern at once, turn out the lights and dive in chemlight "stars", booze, bonfires, and a huge potluck meal.

Ginnie charges $30/day to dive and $22.28/night to camp. There's some kind of group discount for the event but I forget how much. I don't think @cardzard or @ROXANNE has a thread for the event up yet. If they do, then I missed it. They hold the event twice a year.

Ginnie Ballroom - Ginnie Springs

You Floridians should consider coming to the ScubaBoard Fallfest Megadive 2018 October 26 - 28. It's a weekend of camping and diving with 50-100 of your closest scubaboard acquaintances at Ginnie Springs. There's a galaxy dive event where most of us get into the cavern at once, turn out the lights and dive in chemlight "stars", booze, bonfires, and a huge potluck meal.

Ginnie charges $30/day to dive and $22.28/night to camp. There's some kind of group discount for the event but I forget how much. I don't think @cardzard or @ROXANNE has a thread for the event up yet. If they do, then I missed it. They hold the event twice a year.

I just started the new thread. ScubaBoard FallFest MegaDive 2018

Sounds pretty good. Last dive I did was a galaxy dive at the ballroom. Then, we surfaced and scared a few drunks half to death. It was a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom