Costs for Inspection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheHuth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got my hands on a regulator set. Pretty sweet deal. $100 for Aqualung Legend first and second stage, a sherwood alternate, and a suunti favor s cluster with spg.

So obviously not wanting to kill myself, the first thing I want to do is have this bad boy inspected. Two questions:

1) What should I anticipate the costs to be for that service?
2) Do I need to take it apart before going the scuba shop (Remove each piece to have it inspected one by one)?

Edit: Looks like the Alternate air is also a BCD integrated safe second. There is a tiny 3 inch lpi hose hanging off of it. The first stage doesnt have any lpi on it. So I'm guessing you plug that little 3" lpi in to your BCD, and thats that.

LPI Connection looks like this
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41jLEEHNSVL._.jpg

Actual Regulator is this
http://www.diverswarehouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Minimus-300x255.jpg

Last edited:
In this forum, the first inspection runs about $25 for an IP guage and all later inspections are free. At a good LDS, it should run $25 to $40th each time.

I'm sorry, can you clarify for me. Are you saying I can find a member of this board to do the inspection for me? If yes, is there anyone near Long Beach, CA?

AWAP is pointing out that you have posted this question in the DIY forum. Maybe you can ask to have it moved

Oh, now I understand his answer. Okay, so lets keep it here. If I wanted to do my own test, I assume you're saying its $25 for the tool. Is there any links to videos that I should watch? What tool would I use?

I'm a little confused on your image labeling...

The first image is a pro-mate inline octo that mounts between your power inflator hose and the power inflator fitting on your actual power inflator. It's designed to be an inline version of an octo - the thought is to reduce one extra hose because it replaces a standard octo. Regulators - Hydro Wizard Alternative Air Source - Promate USA

The 2nd image (actual regulator) you're showing is the Sherwood Mimimus octo that you apparently also purchased. Sherwood Minimus Octopus - Scuba Diving Octopus - Divers Warehouse

Since you also purchased an Aqualung 1st/2nd you should have an Aqualung dealer service that and ask them what other brands they service - many likely do Sherwood also so you can get both done at the same time. Most Suunto products until this year were distributed in the U.S. by Aqualung so you should be able to find someone to put a new battery in the Favor also - standard service on any console is to replace the spool and o-rings and they're pretty universal.

I personally wouldn't use the Promate if you gave it to me...they're an off-brand and you'll likely find it hard to find a dealer. Although Promate itself is somewhere in SoCal IIRC.

There's no need to take anything apart - that's part of the service. The shop will dis-assemble, inspect and replace whatever is needed as part of the service. Usually that's all the first/2nd stage components and any sort of swivel o-rings etc.

Last edited:
Sorry, I guess I confused things. The parts I linked are just the secondary. The actual first and second stage is an Aqualung Legend. Here is the image of the complete kit.View media item 199899

First thread in regulator forum are inspection instructions.

Back
Top Bottom