COSTCO Scuba Set, $350???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know about their gear?
Our local Cosco has a dive gear package which is very cheap. Basically it is an IDI Paragon BCD, Regulator 'Seaira Spirit', Octopus 'Seaira Air Wave' , Ist Stage, and meters from I believe 'Flowby' - altogether about $380. I realise that this is very entry level stuff, but I have a friend who wants to learn to dive and he has asked me to make some inquiries about it. Is it really good enough for a beginner? Is it worth to buy?

XS Scuba, Inc. Announces Acquisition of International Divers, Inc.
Wednesday Feb 18, 2004 @ 09:10
Submitted by DiveNewsWire

On February 10, 2004, XS Scuba, Inc. of Santa Ana, California acquired all of the assets of International Divers, Inc. (IDI).

Founded in 1974, IDI has been a leading manufacturer of regulators, buoyancy compensators, instrumentation, snorkeling products, and neoprene accessories for nearly 30 years.

XS Scuba was founded in 2003 and continues to be a market leader in the scuba diving industry. The company's impressive debut product line was widely accepted by key industry professionals for its quality and efficiency.

XS Scuba's future plans will involve integrating the IDI product offering to become a full-line supplier to the dive industry. XS Scuba has recently expanded their facilities at 2740 S. Harbor Blvd, Santa Ana to accommodate the acquisition.

For further information contact XS Scuba toll free @ 866 977-2822 or visit their website: www.xsscuba.com

You can contact the new owners and make sure you can still get the equiptment serviced and where.
Fred

The short answer is decent gear, very questionable support/parts availability.

The long answer: As the previous post mentioned, IDI is in limbo right now. I have one of their Nekton BCs that I need a cummerbund for. Unfortunately I can't get one. My local dealer has talked to XS Scuba about it and was told XS bought the assests from IDI, but there aren't any current plans to sell the IDI products.

I have an IDI Advantage Tech BC and it is GREAT. I LOVE everything about it. Unfortunately, since they were acquired by XS Scuba things have gone downhill. I called XS Scuba and they have informed me that they are not honoring ANY of the warranties of IDI. Insurcance purposes I think. They ALSO do not have any replacement kits so you can't even repair it yourself. I am hoping that the main parts that need to be repaired regularly are universal.

With that being said, I have never had a problem with IDI, however getting the equipment serviced annually or if anything ever goes wrong with it would be near impossible. Steer clear...

What is Cosco doing selling Scuba gear? Do they actually check for a C-Card?

The next time I go to my local dive shop I will check on the parts. I think they are an IDI dealer and the owner is very knowledgable and helpful. It may be that the IDI regs have clones on the market and you can still get the parts.

ams511:
What is Cosco doing selling Scuba gear? Do they actually check for a C-Card?

Why would they unless they are also doing tank fills? There is no training or certification requirement to own any piece of Rec. dive gear.

Joe

As a young child my dreams of scuba diving were fueled by watching the Cousteau specials on TV and perusing the Sears and Roebucks catalog that had scuba gear in it.

Most my origainal gear was purchased at a sporting goods store. The sales people knew nothing about diving and could tell you nothing about the gear you were buying.

I don't think that Cosco knows the first thing about diving - but they do have all the basic gear - except tanks. From reading the posts about the demise of IDI I presume they got a very cheap 'clearance' type deal - certainly the complete sets are very cheap. This is something available in Japan - I have no idea if it exists in other Cosco's worldwide, The only card they check is my Cosco's member card!! :D

I was just in our local COSTCO last night, yup we even have them in Japan now.

There is a scuba set on sale for the equivalent of about 350 bucks, or maybe just a little less. It is made by IDI. Has the Scuba Lab choice mark on it, though I have not researched that yet.

Includes BC, reg, octo and a an analog guage console.

Is this set oferred in the US? To my horror, I heard that someone in our club here has bought the setup, though I have not communicated with them yet.

Any news on this one?

JAG

I havnt heard of that here but, I am expecting to see SCUBA go commercial within the next 4-6 years. Unfortunately, this will all but eliminate the LDS. It will be like buying a gun at Walmart, show your license, and you can buy what you want.

Back
Top Bottom