Costco / Sams Fins ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

z28pwr

Reaction score
I'm going to get my diving certification this weekend (Doing the Padi Weekend Course) and I need to purchase a Mask, Fins, Snorkel and Booties and was wondering If I really should spend $175 dollars on some Apollo fins or just get the $20 dollar Fins they sell at Costco until I'm more familiar with the sport ?

Thanks.

Spend the money on good equipment from the start. I think everyone has pieces of their kit they want to upgrade/replace all the time, but no need to start out "knowing" you'll be upgrading right away. The good news is even though the quality equipment is more expensive from the start, it won't let you down and even if you don't continue with scuba (yeah, right) it'll all work great for snorkeling as well. I would be especially picky when it comes to the mask with the fins following and the place where I'd be most likely to skimp a little would be with the snorkel.

My $ 0.02

Rachel

Also, there is a huge range in between the two prices you quoted where you can get real quality gear.

A new pair of Jet Fins will last you 4 lifetimes and should cost you a little more than half of what you are quoting for the Apollos.

I bought a mask from Halcyon and paid something like 45 USD for it. My second choice would be a ScubaPro frameless which is still less than a $100.00.

I'm not suggesting that my choices should be your choices. I'm simply suggesting that between CostCo/Sams and 175 bucks is a WORLD of quality gear.

hth,
kkm

No need for $175 split fins, but avoid the $20 Sam's ones.

Go to the dive shop and get some decent paddle fins (Cressi Frogs, Mares Avantis, etc). These should realistically be $60-$75. Don't let them talk you into expensive splits.

Get the best fitting mask you can find in the dive shop. It'll probably be around $50-$60. Don't don't don't don't get the cheap Wal Mart mask with a plastic skirt and acrylic lenses. You really do need a quality silicone skirt and glass lenses.

Then get the cheapest snorkel in the dive shop and whatever booties the shop recommends. $17 and $25.

A good fitting mask will serve you well for years to come - no need to upgrade that til it breaks. The same with the fins.. you don't need to be familiar with the sport to buy some paddle fins. As for the snorkel.... well, you're going to be diving, not snorkeling :wink:

I borrowed a snorkel from a friend when I took my certification course. I don't know if that's an option, but I passed the class, returned the snorkel and didn't buy one for ~4 years. I was pretty broke when I took the class, so I bought only what I had to (Maui 4, USD Blades, wt belt, boots - used from friend ~$100, new O'neill wetsuit). Years later, I was able to buy the stuff I have now. The LDS instructor was constantly trying to sell me ~$1500 in regulators, etc. Nice stuff, but when you don't have the cash, you don't have the cash. I can recall everyone in the class had brand new gear with matching colored masks, fins, hoses (that colored wrap stuff), BCs... I was a mess of colors - pink and blue Beauchat BC, bright yellow fins; yellow, blue, and green wetsuit - You could see me coming... :)

Whatever you end up getting, make sure that it's something that won't take away from the diving. If you get cheap fins, cheap masks, poorly fitting/maintained equipment, you can spend a good amount of the time on an expensive vacation screwing around trying to get things working right. When it's effortless and you forget that your gear is on in the water, its a fantastic experience. When you can't get your fins to stay on and your mask keeps filling with water, it's a wholely different experience.

I'm a believer in working with an LDS (a good one) for your first set of gear. Find one where they will let you try gear in a pool so you can figure out what you like and don't like. LP and other on-lines retailers are certainly cheaper, but it's hard to determine fit on some items if you haven't owned anything before. I buy plenty from ScubaToys, LeisurePro, DiveInn, etc, but only because I know what fits and what I like. I also still support my local LDS.

Good luck.

I purchased two sets (one for me, one for wife) of fins/masks/snorkels at Sam's club a couple years ago. The fins are Snap fins and they have served me well for many hours of snorkeling and a two-tank intro dive last year on Maui. Frankly, these fins were a lot more comfortable to swim with than the paddles I borrowed from my LDS for my OW class a couple weeks ago.

I would say these fins from Sam's were just fine for snorkeling and at least in my limited knowledge last year, were fine to limited shore diving. They are full-foot fins, so only good if you don't need to wear booties for rocky shore entries, etc.

Just my uneducated opinion....
:rolleyes:

with $175.00 shop around online and get good gear this will last you a long while. If your lds can't help you diversdicount.com has sizing charts that have held true in most cases. Dont skimp on the mask or fins, but you can on the snorkle.
hope this helps...hope you get wet soon.
:wink:

check out

www.leisurepro.com

they have great equipment at great prices. You should be able to get some good gear at good prices... for $100-$120 you could get a great mask and fins (aqualung blades and a mares zero9 mask maybe??) buy the cheapest snorkel on the market... you won't ever use it!

thats what I would do!

enjoy this sport and dive a lot....

Back
Top Bottom