Costa Rica, Panama, Beliz inquiry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Franek

Franek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,
This is my first post on this forum, my English is a slot machine for which I apologize
I have a few questions for my friends.
In December we are going to Central America and
we are interested in diving sites in Costarice for beginner divers, we have already completed the 12m swimming pool and we want to complete the PADI OWD in Costarica.
We will also want to dive in Panama and Beliz this is how our trip was arranged.
We appreciate your diving advice for beginners.
M&M

Thank you for recommending in Belize, interesting base price offer like everywhere. Did you dive with them?
Yes, but many years ago.

Do you already know where in these countries you are staying?

I have not dove in Costa Rica or Panama, but have looked into it a fair amount when planning a trip that didn't happen. For many reasons, neither place seems ideal for your situation.

Among other things, Spanish is the official language both places. While English is often spoken more in tourist areas anywhere in the region, I get the sense English is less common there especially in Panama. Dive shops do often like to hire instructors that speak a few languages so they can certify more people, but Polish seems unlikely. And there are many fewer dive shops in Costa Rica and Panama than in the more common dive destinations in the region. So unless you get very lucky and someone pops in here that knows of a Polish speaking instructor there someplace, you might have to do this with a student and instructor both stumbling along in limited English, which doesn't sound great for a self-described scared new diver doing a referral.

The official language in Belize is English, also lots of Spanish spoken. There are lots of dive shops in various regions, so seems like your odds of finding a Polish speaking instructor someplace are higher, but still low. Maybe @Hank49 knows someone.

When planning a dive trip, it works better to pick a place (and time of year) that meets your needs, then plan the rest of the trip around it. Picking a place without considering your diving needs then trying to make the diving work can be hard.

I like the idea of finding a Polish dive club or travel group.

Any way you can finish your certification at home?

Also, I know it's not in your travel plan, but I wonder if you could get lucky finding someone in Utila, since it's a very popular place for people from all over to go for training. Even if no Polish speaking instructors, maybe a DM candidate that could help.

So unless you get very lucky and someone pops in here that knows of a Polish speaking instructor there someplace, you might have to do this with a student and instructor both stumbling along in limited English, which doesn't sound great for a self-described scared new diver doing a referral.
I agree, finding an instructor in Central America who speaks Polish will be almost impossible. The staff at Goldenfrog scuba in Panama speak perfect English as well as Spanish. If you were able to speak some English, they might able to make it work. However, there are a number of important things to learn about SCUBA and you really don't want to miss something because of a language barrier.

Myślałeś o próbie znalezienia polskiej grupy podróżniczej? Wtedy mielibyście innych nurków mówiących tym samym językiem.

Have you thought of trying to find a polish travel group? Then you would have other divers that spoke the same language.
The proposal is great, it is practically impossible. We have purchased tickets for flights, we are flying in December, we are returning in January.

We know that the language barrier is the biggest problem, you don't speak English or Spanish while underwater

We know that the language barrier is the biggest problem, you don't speak English or Spanish while underwater
you may want to see about getting extra pool sessions in before leaving. More opportunities to understand how the equipment works and more time to ask questions in your own language before leaving will make it easier later.

możesz chcieć dowiedzieć się, jak uzyskać dodatkowe sesje w basenie przed wyjazdem. Więcej możliwości zrozumienia, jak działa sprzęt i więcej czasu na zadawanie pytań w swoim języku przed wyjazdem, ułatwi to później.
Interesuje nas, czy początkujący nurek może wystartować w Kostaryce?
Dla własnego bezpieczeństwa zabieramy własny sprzęt, do którego jesteśmy przyzwyczajeni i znamy, wykonujemy również dodatkowe nurkowania w basenie.

Rocket Frogs in Guanacaste Costa Rica are good people, English speakers, and even have a Slovak listed on their staff page -- probably the closest to Polish you'll ever find down there. That, however, is Pacific Side with colder water, thermoclines, and big fish that may or may not show up for you.

You may want to start on the Caribbean side which I believe is not so great in CR. I would think Belize, all other things being equal, is the better option. (Caveat: I've never been to it, nor Panama.)

Panama Divers did a good job for me, but that was back in 2011. I had make sure they understood that I as a shell collector first and formost. I contacted Angel by email They are (were?) in Portobelo.

Back
Top Bottom