Costa Rica Pacific Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pm3009

Reaction score
Hello

I will be going to Costa Rica at the end of February. Staying on the Osa Penisula at the Lapa Rios resort, and then ending up in the Arenal area. Somewhere in between those two destinations, I want to dive.

Is the Drake area our best bet for diving? Is the diving worth
it there. We'd only be staying for two nights and doing a total
of 4 dives, and then off to the Arenal area. Is there a better
place in that area for diving? Which Dive shop in the Drake
area would you recommend (or is there only one in that area??)

Any suggestions on lodging in Drake would be very helpful too.
Looking for something middle of the road, with a private bath.

Thanks so much!!
Pam
email: pammym@juno.com

I unfortuantly can't help you there.. I was just in Costa Rica about 2 weeks ago, but we stayed in Sol Playa Hermosa.

I dove with Bill Beard's Travel and Diving Safari.. We had a great time!

wish i could do more.. bring your rain coat, we got showered every day..

I have to give props for the travel company though.. They did an incredible job in making us feel comfortable.

Everything from our guide (who spoke much better English then he would care to admit) to the diving.. Which by the way, I saw more fish in one area then I ever thought possible.. Enough to actually block out all the sunlight.. besides that, plus the 3 white-tip reef sharks, dozens of morray eels, and puffer fish.. you are in a for a treat!

Have a good time, share your trip with us when you get back.

-Paul

while in Drake's Bay...very rustic (verging on the primitive), but I thought it was perfect. Two bunk beds, a small dresser and a handmade rug were the sole furnishings. A steaming pot of potent coffee was delivered to our cabin each morning...we sat in hammocks and watched the sunrise before taking a coldwater shower and trekking to the open-air dining area, which had a stunning view of the bay. There were mango trees heavy with fruit along the trail, but we were about 2 weeks early for them to be ripe.

Diving was at Cano Island, about a 1 hour panga ride each way and 2 dives/day offered. That was the only dive option that was available. All dive boats were required to check in at the ranger station each day and it was a rather lengthy process each time.

At the time we were there, diving was only permitted on one side of the island and the number of sites were very limited. After trying a few of the shallow sites and seeing a lot of sand and very little life, we ended up diving El Diablo for 3 of 4 days.

Critters seen included mobula, a giant manta, white tips, sea snakes, assorted reef fish. Bull sharks would frequently circle under the panga as divers backrolled into the water...the teenager boat driver assured us that they were 'very friendly'...

We observed a humpback whale and calf at the surface on one ride out.

Surface intervals/lunch were spent on Cano. There is a somewhat strenuous hiking trail that is worth doing at least once for the overviews. The beach is a popular place for daytrip sightseers and there was usually a spirited volleyball game going and lots of frisbee action.

The HERDS of hermit crabs that inhabit the beach are a pretty amazing sight...they number in the tens of thousands and appear as soon as food is brought out...the noise levels from the clicking and clacking of their shells hitting each other made it hard to have a conversation at times.

Be sure and book a day trip to the Corcovado National Park. Monkeys (advice: do not stand under the howlers to photograph them), poision frogs, bizarre insects, macaws, giant trees...very cool stuff.

I suggest you to dive both South and North Pacific Coast.
playa Tamarindo is a great place where to spend few days
Dive with Agua Rica Diving Center (http://www.aguarica.net
Catalina Islands are good for sharks and rays
Toni:)

Toni- wondering if you've run into a guy named ??? Duchesneau who operates a dive boat on CR's Pacific coast? I can't remember his first name (he's my housemate's brother, but she's not reachable today)?

How easy is it to get to the Catalina Islands. Since I live on the one off LA, I'm interested in diving all the reachable Catalina Islands of the world (such funny goals we set).

Thanks!

Dr. Bill

I was in tamarindo costa Rica in May of this year and they had two dive shops to choose from. it was 45 min out of liberia. A real nice place to. I dont have the info in front of me but i think it was the Pacific Coast Diving Center in Tamarindo. Mike

I was on the Guanacaste Coast in July of 1998 and had a wonderful time! We did Bat and Catalina Islands and had a couple tense moments when we realized the Bull Sharks were mating during one of our trips to Bat Island. Quite aggressive behavior from one of the most dangerous sharks! The resort we stayed at was near Playa del Coco.

I hesitate naming the resort we dived/stayed with as even tho we had a great time, I've read some terrible reviews of late and wouldn't want to swing anyone either way.

BUT....diving the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica was one of the most spectacular experiences I have had in my dive lifetime and highly recommend it to all.

We have a dive trip planned for the middle of April and will be staying at Condovac la Costa. Sounds like Bill Beard's Travel and Diving is the group to work with.

Any comments on the resort, or in traveling from the capital to this Nothern Pacific location?

Back
Top Bottom