Costa Rica or Honduras summer 2017 (between june-august)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hogge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I have been thinking of maybe diving in Costa Rica or Honduras (Roatan) summer 2017.
I have been in Roatan with a cruise ship and liked the island.

My interrest is in bigger stuff (not nudi) and if possible some wreck(s).
I can be on site 2 weeks.

1) Where is the best place?
2) Which month is best?
3) Is there a problem with criminality?
4) What temperature in water can be expected?

Regards
Nico

Have not been diving in Costa Rica other than flying there on the way to Cocos. I've been to Roatan numerous times. This past April we stayed at Anthony's Key and had a great experience. They are offering a special through 2017 with a one person pays and one goes for free so it's about as good a deal in the Caribbean as you will find. The food, rooms, resort, and dive staff were all really good. While diving we saw a pretty good mix of turtles, moray eels, a few sharks, as well as smaller stuff. I think we did one wreck.

I don't know that you would see a big difference between the summer months. If it were me, I'd probably pick June. Water temps will be in the 80's.

No problem at all with crime in all the times I have been there.

Wouldn't hesitate to go and stay there again.

I looked into diving in Costa Rica about that same time of year last year and as it turns out that is the rainy season for CR so all of the dive operators I contacted via the web all told me they were shut down. I ended up going to Panama, Bocas del Toro to be specific, and it rained on me the entire time except for the day I arrived. I did get that one day of diving in and it was inside the islands where the currents were calmer but the viz was so bad it was barely worth it. I really wouldn't attempt to do it again, if it were me. If you're going to be there I would look at something inland like hitting the rain forest or the Arenal area (volcano). Hopefully I didn't ruin any plans, but just being honest about my experience. BTW - I love the people of CR in San Jose, never had a bad time and I hope to go to Manuel Antonio on my next trip... provided it's not business again :)

Many of the Roatan AI dive resorts have some restricted access plus several are known for their security. A few are on small islands so that makes even getting there difficult. Anthony's Key requires their water taxi to take you to your cabana - the Hillside rooms are shoreside but we drove thru a fenced guardhouse to get in plus met the roving security guard one night. Cocoview on the south side is similar, known for their security plus their boats take you to the resort that's almost cut-off by water. Upscale Barefoot Cay is by itself 100' from shore - but the smaller lofts are still shoreside.

And a lot of the West End properties have some sort of security - often fencing with limited access points in public areas. Honestly I felt as safe walking around there at night as I do at home. We didn't even get a car - nothing was more than 10mins. from our house - in town things would be even closer. Our rental house had it's own night watchman but his job seemed to be mostly to start the generator when the power failed several nights during the week.

We didn't see a lot of big stuff on Roatan though, some stingrays, cuda, a few big groupers. The only sharks at the Shark Dive and the only Dolphins at the AKR Dolphin Dive. I have heard of larger stuff being more frequently seen on the SE around Media Luna resort but have no details.

With two weeks you could easily trip over to Utila for a few days/2nd week via the ferries. Might see Whalesharks still in early summer - the best time is considered Mar/Apr. but in another thread they just mentioned seeing 8 this week. About 1/3rd of our dives there involved sighting of a reef shark or two. At Black Hills, a shallow seamount off the south side on one dive we saw 1/2 dozen huge Oceanic triggers, 4-5 3'+ grouper, a school of cuda, lots of smaller fish and two sharks coming up the wall as we were leaving. All in 50' or less.

I think rainy season on Roatan is in the fall. I haven't been there in summer.

From AKR you can access 2 wrecks - actually any north side/west end operation does. Cocoview's shore dive includes the Prince Albert. I'm not into wreck diving so would not have asked but there's the Halliburton off the south side of Utila also. We mostly dove the north side which is pretty vertical in some areas. One dive we passed a little cabin cruiser wreck on it's side also - fairly shallow but we didn't really stop. I believe on the south side.

Last edited:
I suppose it really depends on what you are looking for. Roatan is more developed and more commercialized. More stores, more resorts, more people, cruise ships, chain restaurants etc.. Utila is like Roatan 15 years ago but smaller. No chain restaurants or hotels. About 12 or 13 dive shops in town and 2 resorts. Although to some degree the diving is similar, Utila has the advantage as a small island that you can dive all around the island and experience a wide variety of topographies in a week. The reef around Utila is in great shape - really healthy and vibrant. Utila has relatively frequent sighting of wild dolphins and whale sharks. In a typical week you will see a big variety of large and small species (eagle rays, sting rays, moray eels, turtles, grouper, snapper, trigger fish, lobster, nurse sharks, scorpion fish, toad fish, schools of Atlantic Sade fish, Horse Eye Jacks and more). The main complaint against Utila is that it is not as "fishy" as some other places with more established marine reserves. In Utila you will see a large variety of marine life, but there are not many large schools of large fish. You see more small and medium snapper and grouper than very big ones etc. But most people that come here LOVE the reef and the diving. SEE: Diving in Utila

2) Which month is best?
In Utila there is not a lot of difference between these months in terms of weather, water temp etc. In August there may be a slightly higher chance of whale shark sighting (than June and July), but that is really unpredictable.

No. We have lived and traveled all over the world. We have not felt safer anywhere than in Utila. In Utila Town there may be some petty crime like stolen cameras if they are left unattended but it is very rare to hear of anything more than that. On the south shore where Utopia Village is located (boat access only) there hasn't been any reported crime in a long time that we are aware of

In June through August the water temperature should die between 82 and 84 degrees F. Nice and comfortable for most people. Also generally very little current on most of the dive sites

5) Wrecks ?
There is one large wreck (the Halliburton) that is just over 100 feet long at at its deepest point sits at a depth of 100 feet to. It is a great wreck dive with many swim though areas and safe too. There are several smaller wrecks as well.

Costa Rica is a beautiful place too but we cannot comment on the diving there

My wife and I spent two weeks on Roatan last year including a week in August and the diving was great both trips. The resorts are going to give you the best pricing in terms of stay and diving inclusive. With a contiguous stay of two weeks you could definitely do a split stay with time on Utila too. The fish population on Roatan is awesome, lots to see and catalog if you enjoy that (wife does) and plenty of opportunity for filming (I do) as well. Plenty of wrecks to explore, a few overhead(ish) environments etc. We are going back again this August.

Book two weeks in the Bay Islands of Honduras as it is much better diving than available in CR (Cocos island excluded). I'd spend one week on Roatan and one week on Utila or Cayos Cochinos.

Hi,
I have been thinking of maybe diving in Costa Rica or Honduras (Roatan) summer 2017.
I have been in Roatan with a cruise ship and liked the island.

My interrest is in bigger stuff (not nudi) and if possible some wreck(s).
I can be on site 2 weeks.

2) Which month is best?

Regards
Nico

Just booked Roatan Aggressor liveaboard for only $1995 per person for week of July 22, 2017, thats $900 off!

Just booked Roatan Aggressor liveaboard for only $1995 per person for week of July 22, 2017, thats $900 off!
Great choice-- Look forward to your trip report!

Back
Top Bottom