Costa Rica Guanacaste region in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebrasil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,
Considering a last minute trip to CR Guanacaste area the week before Christmas. I have never been to CR and this region looks interesting with both diving and surfing. From what I read, is it correct the main dive sites this time of the year will be at Santa Catalina islands, and not a good season for diving in Bats island? Trying to figure out if it's better to stay in Flamingo area since it's closer to Catalina Islands. Where do you recommend?
Thank you

Considering a last minute trip to CR Guanacaste area
Don't consider - GO!!!

From my research, I agree with what you found; Catalina Islands can actually be visited year round. I don't think it matters much if you stay in Playa Flamingo or somewhere else along the coast in the area. The boat ride to the islands will be about the same. With that said, I would search for a good dive op. Again from research and what someone else posted on SB a few years ago, Rocket Frog is in Playa del Coco but picks up at Flamingo. Following are a couple of threads about diving in the Guanacaste area:

I dove much farther south when I went to CR, but the highlight of the trip was sightseeing - so much to see/experience................but it would cut down on your diving!

Don't consider - GO!!!

From my research, I agree with what you found; Catalina Islands can actually be visited year round. I don't think it matters much if you stay in Playa Flamingo or somewhere else along the coast in the area. The boat ride to the islands will be about the same. With that said, I would search for a good dive op. Again from research and what someone else posted on SB a few years ago, Rocket Frog is in Playa del Coco but picks up at Flamingo. Following are a couple of threads about diving in the Guanacaste area:

I dove much farther south when I went to CR, but the highlight of the trip was sightseeing - so much to see/experience................but it would cut down on your diving!

Thanks. I read some threads that said boat ride to Catalina is double the time and double the cost depending where you stay.

Hi all, I'm heading down to the same region at the same time. What is the average water temperature down there at the end of December? I can find beach readings, but no dive depth estimates.
I'm waffling on bringing our dive gear with us, as my wife and daughter won't want to dive if the water is below about 78 degrees.
Staying at the Riu, they have a dive operation in house apparently, does anyone have experience using them?
Thanks

On one of our dives my computer clocked 85F on the surface and 75F below the thermocline. People in multiple 5mm layers were just as cold as me in a shorty.

And I was told it's the cold water that bring in the nutrients and critters that eat 'em, i.e. cold is good.

I just got back from a week down there. I did two dive days, the Catalinas dive temp was 79F and the inshore diving was 73F.Hope that helps.
Hi all, I'm heading down to the same region at the same time. What is the average water temperature down there at the end of December? I can find beach readings, but no dive depth estimates.
I'm waffling on bringing our dive gear with us, as my wife and daughter won't want to dive if the water is below about 78 degrees.
Staying at the Riu, they have a dive operation in house apparently, does anyone have experience using them?
Thanks

Thanks guys, that does help.
The possibility of seeing Mantas is driving my wife to want to brave the colder water! I think she is leaning towards renting a 7mm suit from our local dive shop for the week.

tagging on this as I'm also planning to be diving that area in the two weeks of the year I'm planning 8 ish days of 2 - 3 dives per day. I know it's hard to calibrate over the internet on thermal protection amongst strangers, but: I use a 6/7mm + hooded vest in Monterey, CA w/temps between 55-62F and am comfortable. Below 55F I add a sharkskin onesie as an under-layer, and feel warm from 51-55F. I did some dives in the channel islands at 62-70F with no vest/hood in the 6/7mm and was fairly warm, even unzipped a bit at 67-70F as it was quite toasty. I've never been diving in water >=73F.

Should I bring my 6/7mm or get a thinner wetsuit for this? I was hoping to get away with my sharkskin (allegedly equivalent to 2-3mm), but from the comments above, maybe a 5mm would be more comfortable? Or just go with the 6/7mm partially unzipped above the thermocline?

So... we did our first dive this morning off the shore at Riu Guanacosta, and the coldest we got at 50 feet was 81f. A 7mm is over kill!
Lots of white tip reef sharks, eels, rays and fish, no coral anywhere. It's all rock outcroppings. Still enjoyable though.
Two more dives tomorrow, hopefully a manta ray, buy apparently now is not the season for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom