Cost of tech classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well gosh.....let me check! Our dive center, Indian Valley Scuba, is a PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Center, and, in accordance with our contract with PADI, we conduct 100% of our recreational level diver training through PADI, unless we are doing an incoming referral from another agency. I am a PADI Course Director, but also an active instuctor with SDI, TDI, IANTD, IAHD, PSDA, and a number of other agencies. None of these affiliations are in conflict with either my shop agreement or my personal contract with PADI.

Here is our 2009 Training Program Catalog to see what we offer.

I think the idea of being "pressured" is a bit overstated.

No, but how much pressure do you think PADI could place on a "5 star Padi shop" that was also teaching through other agencies? When PADI sees most of a shop's advanced classes going to XYZ agency instead of PADI DSAT (and it's a PADI shop), how happy do you think that makes them?

IIRC...That is what defines a "5 star Padi shop". They only teach PADI courses. So if they taught other classes, they would lose their 5 Star distinction.

edit
we conduct 100% of our recreational level diver training through PADI
I take it that the 5 Star refers only to recreational training. That would make sense to what I have seen in the market place.

IIRC...That is what defines a "5 star Padi shop". They only teach PADI courses. So if they taught other classes, they would lose their 5 Star distinction.

That is not quite correct - it only applies to recrational level training. Technical training is exempt from this requirement.

Added: That is correct Jeff, the agreement restricts recreational training only. And, as I noted in my comment earlier, that is only for classes you advertise or offer. You still have the option to complete the certification for a referral that comes to you from another agency.

I paid approximately $350.00 for Advanced Nitrox/Deco Techniques and that included tuition, student materials, cert. processing, fills, tank rentals and entrance fees.

I paid approximately $350.00 for Advanced Nitrox/Deco Techniques and that included tuition, student materials, cert. processing, fills, tank rentals and entrance fees.

1. Who was the facility/instructor that taught the class?
  2. Is that deal available to the general public?
  3. How about a brief description of what the course entailed - how many hours in the classroom, any pool time, how many dives for how many hours, etc.
  4. Was it worth it - would you recommend the facility/instructor to others?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom