Cost of reg service double, is this normal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gtcpl2

Reaction score
I have a question. I purchased a new regulator from a authorized Poseidon dealer in New Jersey who mailed it to me in Mich.

I was at my local dive shop today and was informed that when that regulator needs to be service the price is double the normal cost because they consider it mail order!!

Has anyone else ever heard of this? What have you done about it? Any positive suggestions would be appreciated.

What I have done tonight is I wrote Poseidon a letter informing them of this and asking them if this is allowed by authorized Poseidon Dealers

No, it's not normal. It's BS. Go somewhere else, and tell the shop that you are taking your business elsewhere.

Good call on mailing Poseidon.

Also talk to your NJ online source and see if he can help you find a good local Posidon dealer.

I live in northern mich and the other nearest Poseidon dealer is 2 1/2 hrs south. Also this was the regency dive center which is going out of business

If a shop wants to punish me for buying from another source, that shop has just lost my business. You *can* mail regs off for service at another shop.

Both ScubaToys and Tech Diving Limited sell and presuambly service Poseidon regulators. Contact one or both of them to see what service will cost for your gear.

You will need to pay for some shipping but the cost of the actual work done should be reasonable.

Mark Vlahos

If you buy it at OUR shop we charge you a special discounted rate. You buy it online or from another shop we charge full price. The shop you took it too has no reason to discount anything to you do they?

So, what are your full price and a speical discounted price?

Al Mialkovsky:
If you buy it at OUR shop we charge you a special discounted rate. You buy it online or from another shop we charge full price. The shop you took it too has no reason to discount anything to you do they?

Al, he didn't say he wasn't getting a discount:

"I was at my local dive shop today and was informed that when that regulator needs to be service the price is double the normal cost"

Do you charge customers double normal when they bring items in that they didn't buy from you?

I bought my reg in 1978, from an authorized dealer that no longer exists. Should the LDS I now go to charge me double bc I didn't buy it from them when I lived in another state at the time of purchase?

If they tried pulling that, it'd be the last time they ever saw me in their store.

He said he paid double, not sure if he meant double the rate for "preferred" customers or double the normal rate. Our customers get a rate of 2/3 the listed rate. So some might think they are paying 50% more than normal.

Back
Top Bottom