Cost of cylinders in the United States

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Catalinas are actually slightly less bouyant than the Luxfers, at least according to the manufacturers specifications:
High Pressure Aluminum Gas Cylinders | Composite Cylinders - SCUBA Aluminum Cylinders | Composite Cylinders | Impact Extrusions
L6X® aluminium SCUBA cylinders

I don't understand where you are calculating a $10-30 markup to the consumer. Why would the cylinders be marked up $10-30 for a simple $3 increase in the cost of raw materials? That should be a simple pass through cost to the end user.
The manufacturer will mark that up at least 300% and then you have middle men that aren’t taking a paycut, and then finally the stores selling them which already have the lowest margins. It’s just how business works in US.

The Catalinas are actually slightly less bouyant than the Luxfers, at least according to the manufacturers specifications:
High Pressure Aluminum Gas Cylinders | Composite Cylinders - SCUBA Aluminum Cylinders | Composite Cylinders | Impact Extrusions

I don't understand where you are calculating a $10-30 markup to the consumer. Why would the cylinders be marked up $10-30 for a simple $3 increase in the cost of raw materials? That should be a simple pass through cost to the end user.
Those charts are not accurate, notice how the same amount air on one chart weighs different on the other? On top of that they are not clear about valves and only one specifies the type of water used.

Last edited:

There is a slight markup

If US made Al cylinders are going to go up by $10-30 as some suggest but the duty on imported tanks is not going to go up it would seem non-US made tanks would be a better deal.

If US made Al cylinders are going to go up by $10-30 as some suggest but the duty on imported tanks is not going to go up it would seem non-US made tanks would be a better deal.
At this point I don’t think anyone really knows what’s going to happen, I sent emails to Luxfer and Faber but have not received a response and I kinda doubt I will.

That is the thing with a tariff on raw materials.

The prices will probably go down. The workers filling the new jobs created will have more disposable income. Many will start SCUBA diving, and buy new equipment and tanks. Manufactures can lower their margins because of the increase in volume. Of course the freight charges will offset the savings because of the rising crude prices. We just can't win!
That's not how supply and demand works.

Let's not look at the macro economics part of your statement about income and prices. That's too much for a message board.

But the economy is doing very well, causing more people to have disposable income and scuba. So just looking at supply and demand....

As demand for tanks increases, the demand curve shifts to the right, increasing price and increasing quantity demanded. More people doing the hobby actually increases prices, assuming the supply stays the same. And I don't think Luxfer or any other tank manufacturers have had big changes to the production process/quantity in YEARS.

That's not how supply and demand works.

Let's not look at the macro economics part of your statement about income and prices. That's too much for a message board.

But the economy is doing very well, causing more people to have disposable income and scuba. So just looking at supply and demand....

As demand for tanks increases, the demand curve shifts to the right, increasing price and increasing quantity demanded. More people doing the hobby actually increases prices, assuming the supply stays the same. And I don't think Luxfer or any other tank manufacturers have had big changes to the production process/quantity in YEARS.
So far I have never seen a situation where manufacturers can sell more and more of the same thing and price doesn't go down. If there is enough volume there are economies of scale and competition. The truly expensive things are the one-offs. Can you imagine the price of tanks if there was only a market for a few hundred?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom