Cost of Atomics Z2 regulator service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for the close local shop, I really like supporting it because of how helpful and honest they were with me ...

@Scared Silly I have taken my regulators on probably like 12-14 dives total. I could find out if I grab my log book. However I purchased it in like July of 2019 so I know they said to get it serviced every 2-3 years. So that is why I was looking at it now.
It's highly unlikely you need a service.

You can help out your local shop by buying an IP (Intermediate Pressure) gauge that attaches to your LP inflator hose and renting a small tank (if you don't already have one) and then do the checks from Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8)

Or maybe you can pay them to do the checks for you? It only takes around 10 minutes.

Edit: once the system is recovered, the correct link will be Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8)

@Scared Silly I have taken my regulators on probably like 12-14 dives total. I could find out if I grab my log book. However I purchased it in like July of 2019 so I know they said to get it serviced every 2-3 years. So that is why I was looking at it now.

Go buy one of these: Intermediate Pressure Gauge with BCD QD Fitting and check the intermediate pressure. If between 125-145psi and does not creep yer good. Then do the rest of the checks on the check list, if no corrosion, yer good. As I mentioned my regs go 4-5 years between rebuilds.

My advice is to get it checked now but not service it till AFTER your big trip.

if the IP is good and the cracking pressure is good. No leaks or obvious deficiencies,if it’s not broke don’t fix it before a big trip.

You don’t want to be at an expensive destination with a reg that just had a botched service.

My usual turnaround for regs I service is 72 hours from the time I get the approval on the estimate. This weekend was different because my sister-in-law passed away suddenly and I was tied up helping her family with the funeral arrangements/services. As a result everything got pushed back 4 days. A reg should take roughly an hour and a half to do all three stages if the tech is taking their time. I have gotten my own done way faster than that, but I don't rush customer regs. If they have been well take care of I allow 35-40 minutes for the 1st stage and 15 for each second on the brands I work with. That's tear down, clean, assemble, and bench test/adjust.
If it's not been so well cared for it may add a significant amount of time. Which is why I bill by the 1/3 and 1/4 hour for labor plus parts and return shipping.
3-4 weeks for a shop is a bit excessive. If they are closed 3 days a week, and the tech is available, the shop doesn't need to be open to service regs. In fact, I'd use those days to really knock out the service work because there would be no distraction from people coming in. That would be a good business decision.

Go buy one of these: Intermediate Pressure Gauge with BCD QD Fitting and check the intermediate pressure. If between 125-145psi and does not creep yer good. Then do the rest of the checks on the check list, if no corrosion, yer good. As I mentioned my regs go 4-5 years between rebuilds.
I ended up ordering one of these from LP and it will arrive tomorrow. I will run through that checklist once I get it.

I take good care of my stuff so I'm assuming everything is still fine considering I haven't REALLY done too many dives with them in the grand scheme of things. But at least I can kind of confirm it with that checklist and having that other gauge.

On a Roatan trip last May, my B2 (I'm guessing costs would be similar to your Z2?) had some sort of high pressure seal (?seat?) failure and spewed air. I rented a 1st stage on the trip, then got my regulator serviced at a LDS I've had good results with called Waterdogs SCUBA and Safety LLC in Tennessee. I was told it'd need a rebuild. When I got my regulator back (in the past few weeks), they also sent a plastic bag with q-tips (to show me some of the oily gunk they'd gotten out of it) and several o-rings). You asked what servicing cost, so here's info. from my bill:

Regulator Overhaul per Stage (I had the B2 first & 2nd stages, and a Sherwood SR1 2nd stage I use as an octo.): $105.00 (total).
Atomic Environmental Seal Surcharge: $20.00.
1 Stage Service Kit: $35.00.
2nd Stage Service Kit: $30.00.
SR2, Octo: $16.20.
Total Amount: $213.92.

Be mindful that was a regulator that had a serious functional problem, not one just getting a routine check up. But if you wanted a real world price example, there you go.

Back
Top Bottom