Corregidor PPD trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok, to continue..

Pacific War Memorial
2345622938_c91789a29c_o.jpg

Eternal Flame
2345617816_0a8790148c_o.jpg

2344822027_f287268f7e_o.jpg

Of course some posing won't hurt:D
2344793891_46ff6fe113_o.jpg

2344788573_76268f114a_o.jpg

2345614930_8e6b6d2aca_o.jpg

2344788779_651dd5813d_o.jpg

2345616332_9b7952a2df_o.jpg

Old Spanish lighthouse
2344795569_d464e9b91d_o.jpg

and a group pic...
2345618094_61bdd06b72_o.jpg

2344788971_3b66e02ccc_o.jpg

Nice pics Caloy. I visited Corregidor in '92 and really enjoyed it, we stayed over night and my GF at that time (not the lady that's now my wife :)) were about the only people staying in the hotel. There was certainly a very eerie feeling after dark. It could be because I love history (and my dad and mom's brother landed at Lingayen Gulf with MacArthur in '45), but I certainly felt something. Would love to go back, so if you guys do this again let me know.

edit: Forgot to ask about the lighthouse...where is that located? Don't remember seeing it on my tour.

One of the things that made the trip so real for me shows up in your photos. The shrapnel dings on all the guns really caught my attention, imagine if a human were hit by the same piece of hot steel that could cause a gouge like that...not a pretty thought.

What kind of diving is Dennis looking for around Corregidor? I would think since all the crap in Manila Bay has to flow out past Corregidor, the conditions would not be very pleasant...or am I missing something? I'm assuming any diving would at least be on the seaward side of the island for that reason. I recall walking on the beach on the Manila side of the island and the beach was littered with refuse (slippers, plastic bags, etc.) from MNL.

Drew

Here's a bit of Corregidor history...
Espionage

In October 1940, U.S. Army Captain and Honors West Point graduate Rufo C. Romero was arrested and subsequently convicted of attempting to sell for $25,000 ($291,000 in 1999 dollars) classified maps of Bataan and Corregidor to an Army-concocted Mindanao Sultan with implied Japanese connections.

Japan's interest in Corregidor began long before its December 1941 invasion of the Philippines. In 1910 U.S. Army counterintelligence elements caught two members of the Japanese Consulate General staff in Manila attempting to bribe an Army soldier and German-born Manila resident with $25,000 to photograph Corregidor.

In another intriguing 1910 incident, a case of Corregidor fortification blueprints were stolen and found later on the streets of Calcutta. In 1912 a Filipino draughtsman in the Army's chief engineer's office stole a confidential map of Corregidor. He was arrested and sentenced to one year in jail and given a fine of $1,000 which was the maximum penalty then under American law.
A decade later blueprints of Corregidor's fortifications were again lost under suspicious circumstances. The investigation led to a Japanese agent. The papers were retrieved and little fanfare was given to this episode.

In September 1924 Private Frank Costa of the U.S. Army's 31st infantry Regiment (posted to Manila's old Spanish walled city) was charged with attempting to sell an Army map of Corregidor for one million pesos (US$500,000)."

"In October 1940, U.S. Army Captain and Honors West Point graduate Rufo Caingat Romero was arrested and subsequently convicted of attempting to sell for $25,000 ($291,000 in 1999 dollars) classified maps of Bataan and Corregidor to an Army-concocted Mindanao Sultan with implied Japanese connections. Romero, the regimental intelligence and topographic officer for the Philippine Scouts 14th Engineer Regiment, was cashiered and sentenced to 15 years in prison at McNeil Island penitentiary in Washington State.

Romero is the only U.S. Military Academy graduate to ever be tried and convicted on espionage charges. Romero's American wife - the former Lorraine Becker of Brooklyn, New York - was a battered spouse but also a witting collaborator in this aborted map selling effort. Mrs. Romero was never charged with a crime and subsequently survived the Japanese occupation of Manila and the destructive liberation of Manila in 1945."
"I would be interested in corresponding with anyone who possesses knowledge of any of the aforementioned espionage cases and particularly with anyone who knew Captain Romero and/or his American wife Lorraine as I am currently writing a history of this particular espionage case."

got this from here Historic Corregidor

Thanks Caloy, I found the same map on the internet but
didn't take notice of the lighthouse.

Cheers,
Drew

You know, Tom Smedley mentioned before in a post that he dived around Correigidor way back in his military days. Would love to hear what he has to say about that.

I wonder what kind of things you'd find in the water around the island...

I was talking to the tour guide and he said they used to dive regularly there. He said there are some interesting dives there, with some shallow wrecks. They could arrange a boat from there to take us. The diving is on the other side of the island from the ferry dock but even on the ferry dock side the water is very clear, only some trash on the surface. We would probably be best to stay overnight. I'm going to contact some people and see if we can arrange it.

Great shots guys! Thanks for starting this thread Caloy, I've been busy and have not gone through my shots yet...

I'm up for that Dennis, I'm also in for staying over night. Keep us posted.

Drew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom