Correcting Published Misinformation is one of my Quests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
IMHO, there is a multitude of misinformation bombarding all of us, from nearly every direction. When I run into something I know to be misinformation, I feel it is my responsibility to at least put a rebuttal out there so somebody can learn that it is misinformation.

The more publishing one does the more one risks publishing misinformation; I have been corrected more than once for publishing misinformation, and I respect and even appreciate being corrected when I am wrong. I strive to not be a hypocrite and live by the nice version of "The Golden Rule" - do unto others as you would have them do unto you!

As an "active" PADI Instructor, I receive Sport Diver Magazine; I would not if PADI would offer me a $10-15 reduction in annual Instructor membership fees option. My feeling is that as long as I get it I might as well read it, but every year there are numerous instances of misinformation that I see in Sport Diver's pages.

Since most of the things I know to be misinformation are concerning Hawaii, I usually post my corrections in the Hawai'i 'Ohana but today I come to the main forums, partially to show that whenever I run into something I know to be BS I point out that it is BS; no favorites, no nepotism.

A few days ago I received the Feb issue of Sport Diver and here is my list of BS after a quick flip through the pages. I thought that Ty Sawyer's departure as Editor of Sport Diver might improve the mag, at least with regards to Hawaii, but unfortunately he is the author of the "2011 Ultimate Dive Travel Planner" that runs from page 35 through page 71. :(

Page 36 is the first page of the "Underwater Photographer" section of the "Ultimate Dive Travel Planner. The picture that covers more than half the page is captioned "A Photographer captures an unusual species of jellyfish in deep Hawaiian waters." A photographer is pointing ~$15,000 dollars of camera system at the jelly with nothing but deep blue open ocean in the background.

Over two years ago I posted the above thread and pic in the Hawaii 'Ohana, and at that time Keoki Stender had the Pelagic Jellyfish identified on his marinelifephotography website.

Not only do I feel it is lazy magazine publishing to not find out the name of the jelly, but most guide/instructors who have been working full time in Hawaii for a decade or more have never seen this jelly, so "selling" dive travel to Hawaii with this jelly seems like BS to me! :no:

Page 70 is the first page of the "Hawaii" section of the "Ultimate Dive Travel Planner." The nearly half page picture for that page is also a pelagic image, with nothing but deep blue open ocean behind the subject. The caption for this picture is "Close encounters with sharks like this oceanic white tip up the adrenaline."

Even when you are one of the very few divers who do a charter trip to "Deep Water Drift" the odds of having an oceanic white tip encounter are astronomical! :shakehead:

In the text on the next page one paragraph reads; "Things get sharky off Maui. Scalloped hammerheads school off Molokai; whitetips loll about in the volcanic caverns off Lanai, and gray reef sharks patrol the famed Molokini Crater."

What with the picture and caption on the previous page and NOT using the word reef when speaking about whitetip reef sharks, the message seems to be that you might see the pictured shark in the caverns off Lanai. :idk:

Finally, in my quick flip through the pages, we come to the last page (90). The caption for the more than half page picture of Eye of the Needle, Saba includes these words "breathtaking coral-cloaked rocks that attract oceangoing pelagics like reef sharks and schooling jacks." - penned by the Managing Editor.

:confused:

A "reef" shark is a "reef" fish, NOT a "pelagic" fish! Calling a jack a "pelagic" is like calling a bear a "carnivore." Jacks "may form schools or aggregations in a wide range of habitats including estuaries, bays, reefs, and the open sea."

Jacks & Trevallies, Family Carangidae

I can easily find that much and more complete BS in every Sport Diver issue. Do experienced divers from other dive destination find similar BS about their locations on such a regular basis?

Yes nearly all locations oversell the stuff that is there. The viz is always described as being better than it is, one rare critter seen in 1986 is described as something to watch out for, rough conditions are played down, etc :wink: I just take stuff like that from magazines and advertisements with a grain of salt and do research with people who have actually been through friends, forums, travel reviews and so on.

Another thing I do (a photographer friend mentioned this one day and I thought it was a good tip) is search for P&S pictures of a location I am planning to visit from amatuer photographers that have visited the place (flickr is a good start) as that tends to give a better idea of what to expect than professional photographs or ones from people with very good cameras :)

You get "sports diver" with padi fees? All we get is that toilet paper waste of space that is the undersea journal.

Another thing I do (a photographer friend mentioned this one day and I thought it was a good tip) is search for P&S pictures of a location I am planning to visit from amatuer photographers that have visited the place (flickr is a good start) as that tends to give a better idea of what to expect than professional photographs or ones from people with very good cameras :)

Humm... that's a very good idea, never thought of it that way. Thanks for sharing!

You get "sports diver" with padi fees? All we get is that toilet paper waste of space that is the undersea journal.

I've been both PADI Asia-Pacific and PADI America and I have never received Sport Diver. It is the official publication of the PADI Diving Society if I'm not mistaken...

Perhaps the OP mistakenly paid for this as well? :idk:

Wow! I always looked forward to the next issue of Alert Diver (although I always want more), but now I respect it more than ever, considering what else is out there.

Since the Skin Diver days the industry has a long history of deceptive advertising. Thanks, Halemano for highlighting a couple of the most frequent:

claims of shark encounters that are highly unlikely to be experienced by the vacation diver, and might be a one-in-a-hundred shot for the local pro if they happen at all;

and those pictures taken on the one day in a hundred that visibility is over 20 feet, not to be experienced again until slack tide in mid-spring at four am (or they were taken in the Red Sea, and used for the Hawaii picture spread).

I've been both PADI Asia-Pacific and PADI America and I have never received Sport Diver. It is the official publication of the PADI Diving Society if I'm not mistaken...

Perhaps the OP mistakenly paid for this as well? :idk:

http://www.padi.com/newsletter/Onli...MBERRENEWAL/images/00050_EngMRnwl11_Bro10.pdf

2011 PADI Professional Member Renewal Guide:
PADI Profesional Membership Benefits

➜ Renewal Gift When you renew your membership
for 2011, you’ll receive a free 2011 PADI Instructor
Manual, Digital Version
➜ The Power of the PADI Brand PADI is the
largest and most recognized dive training agency
in the world. Every day in more than 180 countries
and territories around the world, divers seek out
PADI Members for their dive certifications.
➜ Products and Services Access to the largest
array of scuba diving education materials and a full
range of quality diver education programs - ranging
from recreational to technical diving - many of which
are recommended for college credit. (In 2011, PADI
will launch a comprehensive rebreather program.)
➜ 2011 PADI Diving Society Membership*
Includes a subscription to Sport Diver magazine, car
rental discounts, travel benefits and Members-only
Diving Society events.
*Applies only to PADI Members in the United States
and Canada.

➜ Member Communications 2011 subscription
to The Undersea Journal ®, with the quarterly
Training Bulletin bound in, and the Surface Interval
e-newsletter.
➜ Professional Liability Insurance Access to
the industry’s most comprehensive professional
liability insurance
➜ Consulting Services Training and Quality
Management; Legal and Risk Management;
Business Development
➜ Member Forum Annual “Update Seminars”
➜ PADI’s Expansive Suite of Online Services
❍ New PADI Pros’ Site
❍ Expanded eLearning™ Programs
❍ PIC Online
❍ Dive-Chek®
❍ Pro Chek™

I have ~10 years of Sport Diver / PADI Diving Society membership that came as part of my PADI Pro memberships.

Last edited:
halemanō;5676659:
I have ~10 years of Sport Diver / PADI Diving Society membership that came as part of my PADI Pro memberships.

Thanks for this! I was just glancing over that newsletter and it keeps mentioning PADI Worldwide. So all members should get this regardless of region? I feel gypped!

Back
Top Bottom