Correct wts: Shore diving vs boat; adding layers; swapping tank sizes; Rule of thumb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flutter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just returned from shore diving Curacao and 9# wts worked well (w my 3/5 ml wetsuit & shore booties).
icosm14.gif

Now we are heading down to FL in March and I want to add a shortie layer, because the water was 57-61 degrees last year (in Mar) and I froze. 1) Is there a rule of thumb for adding wt, or will I need to stay by the boat and add 2# at a time, until I get it right? I weigh 123-126#, & will be wearing the same wetsuit. I'll swap out to regular booties, add a hoodie, thin gloves, & a 3 ml shortie. (My husband will also be adding a shortie).

Also, last year in FL boat diving, I needed 12-14# to get down (with my buddy pulling on me on the first dive) even though I had only added the thin gloves & hoodie - from Curacao. 2) Do you always need more wt when boat diving vs shore diving, or did my hoodie & gloves really cause the need for 3-5# extra wt? 3) Should I be soaking my suit b4 my 1st boat dive to prevent this?

4) In FL, sometimes, I swap out to a "shortie" tank (63) rather than the 80 ct because it is lighter. Does this also make a difference in wt??

(Even tho' we do a pool refresher b4 dive trips the water is fresh, so getting the wts right doesn't transfer) Will I really need 16+# with the added shortie? Seems (feels) like a lot!
ne_nau.gif

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

For water that cold, I would go 7mm wetsuit, 7mm boots, 3mm gloves, and a 7mm hood.

Presoaking your gear will have negligible effect (although it is wise to wet your tank cam bands!).

For an easy pre-calculation, toss your gear in the bathtub and add lead until it sinks. Then add +4 lbs for an AL80 (They're -3 lbs empty), and another +4 lbs for yourself (it sounds like you're pretty trim).

For a 7mm + hood + boots + gloves, I wear about 18 lbs (+4 lbs for an AL80). I am 5'8", 150 lbs. My BMI is about 23.

KD8NPB,

Thanks for the method to figure the weights: sink bc w wts + 4# for tank + 4# for myself = total wts required. (This transfers to FL diving even though I just used bath/tub water, right?) My BMI is also about 23.

Back
Top Bottom