Correct glue/sealant for DUI dry suits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Got a minor leak at a seam of my DUI CLX450. I understand that glues/sealants are fairly specific to different manufacturers.

Note, I DID contact DUI requesting this information but have not heard back.

For those who repair their own DUI dry suits or have repaired the same, what sealant would you recommend for a fairly minor leak in a seam in the crotch?

I’ll second the aquaseal recommendation although I do thin it a bit with cotol

DUI uses aquaseal in bulk when they make them. Including in some really stupid places like to glue the valves on.

DUI uses aquaseal in bulk when they make them. Including in some really stupid places like to glue the valves on.
The valves are not aquasealed in place, they are attached with clear silicone RTV.

The valves are not aquasealed in place, they are attached with clear silicone RTV.
My 2007 era CF200 had/has aquaseal and lots of it. All the seams and exhaust valve in particular. It's not RTV.

My 2007 era CF200 had/has aquaseal and lots of it. All the seams and exhaust valve in particular. It's not RTV.
That would be a first for me. They are a wear item. They are sealed in place, but I have never seen one with aquaseal on it. That would be a permanent attachment.

That said, I don't think I have ever done any valves on a CF.

I sent my 2017 clx 450 for a new zipper (again) last February. Valves were aquasealed on when it was returned, which was completely unnecessary. I take my valves off from time to time and i had taken my heater bulkhead off to put on my other suit. I had to fight to get the inflator off to put a bulkhead back on. The aquaseal was everywhere. Squished right into the threads. I’ve used silicone before. This was not silicone.

DUI has always used RTV silicone on their valves unless something has changed recently or perhaps they need to re-train new people at the factory. My last 4 DUI drysuits and my wife's were glued on with RTV silicone, as well as all the DUI drysuits I have helped people work on. These were TLS350, FLX and CLX suits. It's actually been a while since I have had a CF200 so I dont know if they use aquaseal there.

They explain why they do it here. I hate that they do it and prefer suits with rubber gaskets.

Regarding seams, aquaseal thinned with cotol is the way to go for seam repair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom