Coron vs. Dumaguete vs. Malapascua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelem:
Which resort and dive shop did you use in PG?
Thanks.

I was in Puerto Galera in May. I stayed at El Galleon Beach Resort and used Asia Divers. The only dive shop I found with five scheduled boat dives a day and their own pier (there's something to be said for not having to wade/walk from the boat) :wink: . Here's a link: http://www.asiadivers.com/ Nice people there :)

I read the water tempature of Apo island is about 25C, is it always like that?

With regards to temps. Just diving last week around Puerto Galera was 28 and sometimes 29 degrees, and that is 'at depth'.
There are alot of good dive operators in PG, I agree with Rexman, I use Rick at Frontier diving, did my EANx course with him as well, small operations which means not alot of people and a pretty casual atmosphere. It does amaze me with Verde Island and Sabang area so close to Manila and a populated area, they really do hold alot of marine life. Maybe the strong currents and such keep it going?

If the verde channel was fished out as one poster said, I dont think I would have seen 60 species in a weeks diving there!

I'll show you 60 species of fish in Apo Island in 1 hour. While snorkeling. :D

i suggest Cabilao if you are into macro stuff.

malapascua also has good macro (specifically Gato Island) but if you do not get to see the thresher sharks...hmmmn.... getting there and back would be a little of a hassle for the macro.

and oh, ive never been there, but Apo Island earned quite a reputation for the number of marine life species there.

i suggest Cabilao if you are into macro stuff.

malapascua also has good macro (specifically Gato Island) but if you do not get to see the thresher sharks...hmmmn.... getting there and back would be a little of a hassle for the macro.

and oh, ive never been there, but Apo Island earned quite a reputation for the number of marine life species there.

Don't knock Monad Shoal too much. I've seen plenty over the years during my dives there. Lots of mantis shrimp, ghost pipe fish sometimes, Octos, baracuda, nudibranch, etc. I even met a german diver who claimed they saw a blue ringed octopus. It's also great for concentrating on your breathing as you want to stay down as long as possible.

Don't knock Monad Shoal too much. I've see plenty over the years during my dives there. Lots of mandarin shrimp, ghost pipe fish sometimes, Octos, baracuda, nudibranch, etc. I even met a german diver who claimed they saw a blue ringed octopus. It's also great for concentrating on your breathing as you want to stay down as long as possible.

actually, you are right, jason. zee dove monad shoal with the hopes of seeing the mantas in the afternoon. the DM who knew there was a slim chance they could spot them was busy showing him other stuff. and i didn't get to dive with him then but i saw the pictures and they were cool.

now, as i understood, if u went down to see the threshers, chances are, you'd be in full concentration waiting for them. you do not swim around with your head bowed down to look for smaller stuff.

that was how i understood it when i was there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom