Coron Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My intent would be to stay longer than 5 days so I can cover more wrecks and make the trip worth while, probably 14 days. I am not really interested in a trip where I am forced to dive the same wrecks over and over again just for convenience of the dive operator. Whilst I understand they have to make things profitable and usually have as many divers on the one boat to maximise profit, I am not interested in being put onto a cattle boat day after day and treated like an idiot just to suit their business model. Been there and done that on Great Barrier Reef and Palau. Same bit of reef daily seeing the same shark with the same hook in its mouth, but the dive guide telling us its a different spot.

The place has a number of wrecks (about 13) so how do I get to dive many if not most of them and not pay an absolute fortune because I have to pay for a boat by myself? An example is Truk where I have now dived 27 of the 39 available to dive. They swap about people on boats so as to try and meet their clients desires and also match diving ability up rather than have a cattle boat with all on board?

I don't think there is a simple solution on the selection of sites unless you are prepared to pay.
1. Stay in Coron and check with every dive operator for its itinerary for the following day! You have to move your gear around everyday!
2. Contact every operator and wait for the answer before your arrival. But situation might change unexpectedly.

Good luck.

Contact details for Kevin Underwood are via web site Kaba-Kaba.com ... This is not the link... Just type into your search engine... Cost 600 to 1000 PHP per night for two in simple cottages...

---------- Post added August 9th, 2015 at 07:50 PM ----------

Just another quick note... Coron also has Cathedral Cave (weather permitting).. And Barracuda lake.. Like diving in a heated and filtered quarry... Thermoclines... Haloclines. Temperatures up to 35 degrees... Highly recommended... Some good reef dives as well.. So plenty to fit in besides the wrecks...

Hi Peter!

Coron is really one of the most visited destinations for wreck diving in the Philippines. The sunken Japanese ships are listed in Forbes Traveler Magazine as top 10 best scuba diving sites in the world. Here is a link for you to check local dive centres, read reviews, compare prices and book online: https://divebooker.com/search/?rt=1&et=4&e=17601

Please note that this website is by no means comprehensive. It lacks several (a lot?) of the dive centres (including my favourite).

Dove there in June, Sea Dive is a well known operator, though I'm still PO'd that they they let the bar run into the middle of the night right below the rooms divers are trying to sleep in. Long boat rides out and back each day, usually 3-4 dives a day if you can handle the pace and NDLs... the wrecks are looking good, but locals say you only have 3-5 years, outside of 7 on some of the wrecks before they will be unsafe to dive...

I loved them, I came back and realized that I might have been diving outside my skill level, most of the better dives are DEEP and OUT OF LIGHT for at least part of the dive... the DMs are really good, but it could still be tricky if you have a buddy with bad skills and they raise the silt...

Other than that, love the place... I'll be back before boats start collapsing...

Back
Top Bottom