corks for lion fish markers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tardmaster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are they still looking for corks to use with the lionfish markers? My wife works for a restaurant and brings home several a night. we propably have a couple of hundered. where do we send them?

Thanks.

Are they still looking for corks to use with the lionfish markers? My wife works for a restaurant and brings home several a night. we propably have a couple of hundered. where do we send them?

Thanks.

Send some to
Bonaire Dive & Adventure
PO Box 389
Kaya Gobernador N. Debrot 77A
Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles

They are the dive shop of origin for Annieols' (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ab...ish-awareness-elimination-course-bonaire.html) Lion Fish Awareness class and place that a limited number of qualified guests can be trained to collect lionfish. When we were at Sand Dollar in May/June, BDA was repeatedly running out of corks. I guess divers don't drink enough wine.

Putting survey tape and cork in the water to mark where a living creature is seems to amount to littering, unless you are actually tying it to the fish! If I had marked every lionfish we saw in Curacao, there would be wine corks everywhere. Instead, we pointed them out to the divemasters who speared them.

Putting survey tape and cork in the water to mark where a living creature is seems to amount to littering, unless you are actually tying it to the fish! If I had marked every lionfish we saw in Curacao, there would be wine corks everywhere. Instead, we pointed them out to the divemasters who speared them.

I appreciate your comment, but when my wife and I dive Bonaire, we don't dive with dive masters. Also, when you spot a lionfish, mark the location (they seem to stay in their own general area), go back and tell you dive operation. The will then send out the proper personel who will remove the lionfish as well as the marker. Thus no littering.

If you are going to litter the only thing you should leave behind is a little dead lion fish.

Are they really using survey tape and corks to mark where an invading species is. Moronic.

Moronic?

Why do you say that?

They are prolific breeders with no predator in the Caribbean, the policy should be kill on sight for anybody that has the ability and or desire ( it's not like it's tough to kill a fish ). Hell even that isn't going to stop them as there are too many spots where divers aren't, but with an aggressive as possible approach it MAY help keep the balance of the ecosystem in the reefs that divers actually visit, anything less IMO is "moronic".

I understand. You are not saying that using corks to mark Lionfish is moronic.

What you are saying is the failure to equip all divers with a spear to kill Lionfish on sight is moronic.

Thanks for clarifying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom