Coral reef discovered off coast of Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buksida

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A coral reef spanning several hundred acres and teeming with fish has been discovered off the coast of Thailand and should be given protected status, the World Wide Fund for Nature said Wednesday.

Tipped off by local fishermen, WWF divers in January found what they say is a healthy, 667-acre reef in southern Thailand with over 30 genera of hard corals, and at least 112 species of fish.

Among the fish species identified, the WWF said, was a type of parrot fish first discovered in Sri Lanka and never before seen in Thailand, and a species of the sweet lips fish previously only found in the Similan Islands.

The reef is off the coast of Khao Lak, a popular tourist destination on the Andaman Sea coast of Thailand.

Full Story

I hope that some way is found to protect this site...

Well I do hope the World Wrestling Federation will try a more low impact style of wrestling to protect the fragile hard coral. They've certainly destroyed all hard coral in Tennesse with all that body slamming and knee dropping...

But seriously, it's interesting to note that the reef was known to fishermen and they apparently tipped of the conservationists. The articles say that the fish populations are very healthy, but don't mention anything about how intact the food chain is-if there are any bigger fish. I wonder... Anybody been there yet? -Andy

A new dive site?! Great news! Please protect it. And Next time I'll ditch phuket completely and stay in a Khao Lak hotel.

Back
Top Bottom