Copyright or Copywrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mariozi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am a strong believer in Open Source software.
Although I use Windows (it was already installed) on my laptop, I am a Linux:penguin3: user on my desktop. Also on the laptop the only proprietary software I use is Nikon's Capture, other than that I use GIMP, PhotoPhiltre, OpenOffice, Mozilla's Firefox and Thunderbird for web and mail etc...
And I thought it was not a logical thing to use "Copyright" laws on my website and pictures. After some research I found something I believe to be better for our society:

http://creativecommons.org/

My site and pictures are now licensed under this type of license:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/legalcode

I agree with your views on open source.

It seems to me (I must admit I didn't read the whole thing so correct me if I'm wrong) that the license described still uses existing copyright laws for protection. The only difference is that you are giving up some of your rights without written consent. I pretty much give the same rights to people freely but only after they have specifically asked me for them and described exactly what they want to do.

That was my reaction as well - nothing particularly new here, just an attempt to codify and classify some of the things that you could already do. Interesting, but I doubt that it will fly for commercial purposes. Could be wrong - and I use almost no Open Source software. I just don't have the time to sift the useful from the not so useful. I let the market do that for me.

Yeah it does...wb.
CC is a concept, you can choose whatever license you want under their flag.
In its website there is a tutorial for what kind of license you need, GNU, Copyleft etc... mine is just one kind of it.

Back
Top Bottom