Copperhead Bite Me !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since we are so off topic now. I see on YouTube a lot of herpers (sorry if that isn't the correct term!) allow non-venomous snakes to bite them. My phobia aside, this doesn't seem like a super idea. 1) Reptiles carry all sorts of nasty bacteria and 2) The snake that you have just allowed to bite you may have rotting mouse flesh (or whatever) on it's teeth. Comments?
Human bites carry more nasty bacteria than snake bites. It's more just not minding the occasional bite which may be unavoidable when capturing a beautiful snake than 'allowing' the bite. On another topic, I've only been able to see up to season 9 of Brokenwood. How far has the series gotten?

Copperheads are found a lot further south than the OP’s snake. Just for fun
That’s actually pretty amazing!

I see on YouTube a lot of herpers (sorry if that isn't the correct term!) allow non-venomous snakes to bite them. My phobia aside, this doesn't seem like a super idea. 1) Reptiles carry all sorts of nasty bacteria and 2) The snake that you have just allowed to bite you may have rotting mouse flesh (or whatever) on it's teeth. Comments?
Yep, "Herpers" is a term! It's actually a good question and your thought on the matter is reasonable. However, none of my snake bites ever resulted in any adverse reactions, and likewise, I don't know of any of my herper friends who have either. I suspect it might be the fact that snakes, being ectothermic, run significantly lower body temps than mammals. As such, the bacterial fauna they harbor are probably quite different from those that would pose problems for humans. And, since they don't chew their food, they probably don't retain significant amounts of "mouse" bacteria. And the mammalian bacteria they do retain probably doesn't last long at relatively low temperatures.

98% chance that it was a juvenile corn snake that I beheaded but had little choice it rearing up and striking like mad with a triangle shape head . I have had many pet snakes as a kid and rather do no harm as this would be a mistake . 2% chance that it is will need to blow up a phone video to a big screen and scrutinize the head , body and colorations Thank you. Rumdumb

98% chance that it was a juvenile corn snake that I beheaded but had little choice it rearing up and striking like mad with a triangle shape head . I have had many pet snakes as a kid and rather do no harm as this would be a mistake . 2% chance that it is will need to blow up a phone video to a big screen and scrutinize the head , body and colorations Thank you. Rumdumb
I live about as far from Florida as you can get, but here we have bullsnakes and rattlesnakes. The bullsnakes will flatten their heads, coil up, and shake their tails when angry.

The bullsnakes will flatten their heads, coil up, and shake their tails when angry.
Yes, they will! They do a pretty good job of imitating a Rattlesnake. As far as snakes are concerned, I think the Water Moccasin aka Cotton Mouth is the nastiest and meanest creature on the planet! They'll actually hold a grudge.

I've trudged the backcountry of copperhead country in Maryland for 15 years and have seen timber rattlers, tons of water snakes, and several other species, but not yet a copperhead. So they are not easy to come across, at least in Maryland.
I've come across them on Dan's Rock near Creseptown.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom