Cooper River, SC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDave76

Contributor
Reaction score
Just checking to see if anyone has been in the Cooper River in the last 4 or 5 months. Been itching to get back there but have been unable.

Dave

Not Me Dave. But me and 3 friends are thinking about heading that way in Nov.or Dec. Any Ideas where we might stay and who to dive with?

Cooper River ...? sounds familiar, is that the place known for lots of shark teeth and mad current and piss poor viz? If this is the same place, if I am not mistaken, people usually go diving there just to get some shark teeth, and they carry a large screw driver to stick on the floor to something to hold on to while you are digging for some teeth, and since the viz so poor you have to litterary have your face right "in it" and search for any shiny triangular objects.... I might be mistaken?

Had some friends that went down a couple of months ago. and we've got a group going down in a couple of weeks. VT, sounds like you're not too keen on diving the Cooper. Ever tried it? It definitely isn't for everyone, but for some of us, it is a great challenge to see what we can dig up.

Dutch,sounds like you're wanting to give the Cooper a shot. Send me a pm and I'll tell you the only operator I will NOT to go with and ones I recommend.

This time of the year the vis starts improving. Probably in the 1-2 foot range. Water gets a little cooler so you may need a bit extra wet suit.

Not for everyone, battling wicked currents and that ol' piss poor viz, but once you snag that first tooth, it becomes an addiction.

Gimme more...

If i lived down there, I would probably dive it every other day.

oh no, I am interested. i was just describing what I heard... I am thinking I won't be able to make there this year though. Probably more like February.

Lead_carrier once bubbled...
Had some friends that went down a couple of months ago. and we've got a group going down in a couple of weeks. VT, sounds like you're not too keen on diving the Cooper. Ever tried it? It definitely isn't for everyone, but for some of us, it is a great challenge to see what we can dig up.

Dutch,sounds like you're wanting to give the Cooper a shot. Send me a pm and I'll tell you the only operator I will NOT to go with and ones I recommend.

This time of the year the vis starts improving. Probably in the 1-2 foot range. Water gets a little cooler so you may need a bit extra wet suit.

69 degrees, vis <5', current varied from slick to ripping, max depth 35 ft, found a bag full of teeth, one in perfect condition, several whole ones and lots of schrapnel (sp?), and a colonial era pipe stem.

ALways plenty of sex stones to be found too.

I HAD A BLAST!!

subdude

VTernovski once bubbled...
Cooper River ...? sounds familiar, is that the place known for lots of shark teeth and mad current and piss poor viz? If this is the same place, if I am not mistaken, people usually go diving there just to get some shark teeth, and they carry a large screw driver to stick on the floor to something to hold on to while you are digging for some teeth, and since the viz so poor you have to litterary have your face right "in it" and search for any shiny triangular objects.... I might be mistaken?

Yep, sure is. Hey you guys this thread would do well in the DeepSouthDivers NDI section. I haven't been in the Cooper River myself. Heard lots of storys from some who have. Even about the gators there. LOL I am looking forward to diving the Cooper. Maybe this Spring we'll set a trip with the DSD group to go. R

Haven't been in the river since Mar. I love diving it and have had some great success. Knowing that the vis improves a little this time of year, I was trying to live vicariously through others!

Dave

Lead Carrier,
I will be in SC for the Cooper experience, am new to the area, in from Australia. Can you recommend some good operators, cheap gear hire etc.?

Cheers mate,

Bretto

Back
Top Bottom