Cooper River, SC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm heading there with a small group in Novemeber. It will be my first dive there but we do a similar technique diving for antique bottles in the Tennessee river.

melanopterus:
Dutch,sounds like you're wanting to give the Cooper a shot. Send me a pm and I'll tell you the only operator I will NOT to go with and ones I recommend.

Lead Carrier,
I will be in SC for the Cooper experience, am new to the area, in from Australia. Can you recommend some good operators, cheap gear hire etc.?

Cheers mate,

Bretto
Try Charleston Scuba. I do offshore diving with them. They have a separate boat and captain that specializes in black water diving in the Cooper River and Tail Race Canal. www.charlestonscuba.com and www.cooperriver.com

DiverDave76:
Haven't been in the river since Mar. I love diving it and have had some great success. Knowing that the vis improves a little this time of year, I was trying to live vicariously through others!

Dave
I havn't been there in about 5 years. I had a blast diving in the Cooper. Theres a shoredive there at Strawberry Landing where if you hit the currents right, it's a drift dive to it and a drift dive back to the landing. Great fun.

Hi Dave,

Quick question. I really want to dive the Cooper River. However, I've only been certified about 1 year and have logged a dozen or so dives in the Gulf of Mexico, quarries, and Fl springs. I'm a confident, yet safe diver. Am I crazy for considering a "black" water dive at this stage? Any input is much appreciated.

DiverKKC:
Hi Dave,

Quick question. I really want to dive the Cooper River. However, I've only been certified about 1 year and have logged a dozen or so dives in the Gulf of Mexico, quarries, and Fl springs. I'm a confident, yet safe diver. Am I crazy for considering a "black" water dive at this stage? Any input is much appreciated.

KKC,
IMHO the most valuable experience for the Cooper is no visibility diving. There are many dangers in the river and you have to be able to deal with them by feel. I reccomend you spend some time in a shallow corner of your local quarry stirring up some muck and getting comfortable in that environment.
It is one of my favorite places to dive. I've been out 5 times in the last 2 years as my SIL and daughter are stationed at Hunter AAF in Savannah. SIL and I try to go every time we can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom