Cooper River dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mgri

Reaction score
Did my first cooper river dive on Sunday and I am now addicted!

Went out with Capt Topper and had a great time. He has got to have the biggest pontoon on that river, it is huge! He only allows 6 divers so you have plenty of room.

He advertises two tank dive for $65 dollars but I found out that he usually runs three dives, so if you go out with him bring a third tank just in case.

We hit three different beds and after the first dive it was apparent he knows the sites really well. Diving in the cooper is some dark diving. Particulates were pretty heavy so it was pitch black after twenty feet. Currents weren't to bad until the end of the day when the currents picked up on the surface.

Since this was my first dive in the cooper I wasn't expecting to find much. I was planning on doing an easy first dive and just get use to the environment. after settling down into a rock bed I found seating on top of the sand what I believe is a C. Auriculatus 1 1/2 tooth with great serrations and enamel, the only flaw is it is missing the tip of the left root. After finding it I was hooked. By the end of the day I had found about 10 teeth. Mostly less than two inches and most were broken up some what. I also found some large mammal vertebrae and what could possible be a tusk. (probably just a petrified stick) :)

Since I only brought two tanks I wasn't planning on a third dive but I had about 1200 PSI left in my first tank so I decided to do a quick last dive. I'm glad I did! I found a 4 inch megalodon! It's not in perfect shape, it does have a decent chip on the left side of the root but it's still a great find. definitely had the beginners luck.

Mark

mgri:
Did my first cooper river dive on Sunday and I am now addicted!

Went out with Capt Topper and had a great time. He has got to have the biggest pontoon on that river, it is huge! He only allows 6 divers so you have plenty of room.

He advertises two tank dive for $65 dollars but I found out that he usually runs three dives, so if you go out with him bring a third tank just in case.

We hit three different beds and after the first dive it was apparent he knows the sites really well. Diving in the cooper is some dark diving. Particulates were pretty heavy so it was pitch black after twenty feet. Currents weren't to bad until the end of the day when the currents picked up on the surface.

Since this was my first dive in the cooper I wasn't expecting to find much. I was planning on doing an easy first dive and just get use to the environment. after settling down into a rock bed I found seating on top of the sand what I believe is a C. Auriculatus 1 1/2 tooth with great serrations and enamel, the only flaw is it is missing the tip of the left root. After finding it I was hooked. By the end of the day I had found about 10 teeth. Mostly less than two inches and most were broken up some what. I also found some large mammal vertebrae and what could possible be a tusk. (probably just a petrified stick) :)

Since I only brought two tanks I wasn't planning on a third dive but I had about 1200 PSI left in my first tank so I decided to do a quick last dive. I'm glad I did! I found a 4 inch megalodon! It's not in perfect shape, it does have a decent chip on the left side of the root but it's still a great find. definitely had the beginners luck.

Mark
mark glad you had such a great dive ,topper is a real nice guy. just so you know the {little teeth} on either side of the main tooth are called cuspids. i wonder if the navy knows topper has one of thier aircraft carriers! at any rate congrats. capt. phil

Back
Top Bottom