Cooper River / anyone been there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will see a gator on the boat trip to where ever you are diving. You won't see a gator underwater. They stay in shallower water where they can see(5-15 ft.). For the most part you would be diving in 25-40 feet of water. Plus with all the noise divers make they skeedaddle long before you would get near one.

There is a big misconception about the river here. It is not "muck" diving. It's just real dark. Whatever your beam of light will show you is real clear. Some upriver sites actually looked a lot like Dutch Springs. We had one guy who routinely combed the banks for old bottles who had 3 personal encounters with "natives" (Gators). They swam away, worst he got was his mask knocked off by a reptilian foot. Stay off the banks and you'll never see one, they're lazy and hate the current. I use a screwdriver to help anchor myself in and find it to work well. I have 16 logged dives in the river and am heading back in August. I use Capt. Bill Routh of Off the Wall Dive charters. Off The Wall Charters He is great to dive with and will teach you how to find teeth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom