Cooper River / anyone been there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah Billy bass boat does come ripping through pretty good down there. Suprisingly they are usually respectful of a dive flag.

Oh yes....adventure.....yee haw!

Nothing better than red necks and bass boats! I am looking forward to taking photos of them!

115 dives on the cooper and the best advice I can give besides what has already been said is to stay calm on every dive it is not as bad as the mind makes it out to be!! Have fun and be safe.

I shouls preface this by saying that I've not been there in a while.

I think the alligator situation depends on how far up-river you're diving. Up towards the lock I've seen quite a few bruisers. I have seen party-barge type dive boats up there as well, but I don't know if they were charters or for research. Also, if I recall correctly, there is a significant flow when they are operating the locks.

I do know that a guy lost his arm to a gator up in the lake not too long ago.

Some of our guys use a screwdriver or old dive knife for an anchor.I usually use an extra ten pounds of weight to do the job. I still carry a screwdriver just in case though. You should dive on the in coming tide for best results, not as much current.Usually leave from the Cypress gardens boat launch. Biggest gator i've ever seen was about 8 foot long and belly up.

Ok. I have to admit. I'm a little freaked about diving with alligators :) What are my odds of seeing one? I can dive with shark all day and love it. Alligators seem to have a REALLY bad attitude (Kinda like my wife!) :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom