Cooper River / anyone been there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

down130

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm looking at driving my RV to the Cooper River with our group to dive for teeth. My guys have wanted to go for a long time and I'm finally giving in. I'm a little spoiled now by diving in the warm-clear water too much, but has anyone else been there? What are the odds of finding something? Any suggestion for what operation to go to?

Thanks,

Mike

Never dove it myself but I know a bunch who do. You do realize this is blackwater solo diving don't you? Vis is measured in inches and the buddy system is pretty much impossible. Add to the mix boat traffic, currents and bank overhangs. This is not diving for the novice.

Herman,

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Honestly, this trip doesn't appeal to me much because I'm not really into the mud diving, but we may have a couple in our group. Thanks again.

You will Love it! I have dove the Cooper over 40 times, and love every minute of it. Like what was said before diving the coop is a challenge. Its like diving in coffee. In thirty feet of water you look up and see blackness. There are strong currents depending on the tides. You WILL need a strong light, and I generally over-weight myself (by only a few pounds) to help against the current.
When fossil diving you are generally in only 30-40 feet of water. Your chances of finding something are excellent. Everyone finds at least small teeth and broken larger ones. I have found large meg teeth,bottles,arrowheads,pottery,pipes,and an assortment of other stuff.
If you have the experience and don't mind diving solo, this is definitly a dive to do. Good Luck and leave some for the rest of us. : )

I've not been there either. The croc/gator situation is not nearly as bad as hyped. I've been told that you can run into them there, but I don't think they're big enough to want to take on a diver.

I'd really like to hit there too. I've been trying to work it in for a couple of years now. My family thinks I'm crazy but I'd like to find a couple of nice mega teeth....What can I say....I'm strange. :D

If your photo dosen't prove your strangeness.....hmm. Hey, maybe you can be in one of the next Lord of the Rings movies! Besides, if I looked like that I wouldn't expect a gator to eat me either.

All joking aside, I am really into one of these trips. Maybe we can make a PA run there. It would be nice to secure a whole boat. There are a few guys at DDN in Lansdale I can get to go with us.

Let me know.

As long as I don't get my leg ripped off I would consider it a success and buy a few teeth to take home!!

Don't worry about the Alligators. You will see them on the boat trip as you go up/down the river, but I've never seen one under water(32 dives). I would stay away from the shores though. The only things you will see are Catfish,Shrimp, and small crabs ann flounder. Boat traffic i would say is a bigger hazard than the Gators. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom