Convince me to get steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to add to your choices but you had asked about O2 analyzers. It is a good investment. I may or may not check my air immediately after my tanks are filled - depends if I have time or the LDS requires. However, I will always check my air before I dive and mark my cylinder with the contents. For this reason, I am glad I have my own.

If you are driving from Florida to Texas along I-10, you may want to stop in Marianna and visit Cave Adventurers. Edd (the owner) has some great prices on equipment. The website is caveadventurers.com - Home Although he sells tanks (with thermo valves), the tanks are not advertised on his website. He also has some good prices on O2 analyzers.

If you consider this option, call him in advance and ask about tanks that he has in stock. Warning though, shopping at Edd's can become addictive.

You may want to ask your buddy why he does not want to take nitrox or purchase anything bigger than an 80. As others have said with nitrox and a 100 cf tank, you will have a longer bottom time and go a little deeper (keeping within your PO2 limits) than your buddy. Personally, I like my bottom time:)

Good luck with your diving classes.

All good points! Now everyone is going to be different but at 6'1 230 (sure I could loose 20lbs) I end up doing this. On vacation diving AL 80s / Al backplate /3mm shorty I use 4lbs on the tank bands. Some might not like the idea of not having weight to ditch but my rig is neutral with 300psi in the tank. So at 80ft with the wet suit compressed I would have no issues swimming the rig up with a ripped wing. Back at home diving my HP130 in a 5/7mm wet suit I again do not use any weight. Now I know I'm a bit over weighted but moving to a dry suit this year for a back up lift source. In a pinch I can use my SMB that has 40lb of lift.

I'm not suggesting you dive with out any weight you can drop but I would work on getting the weight you carry down as much as you can. This is why a shop is a great source of info and I'm sure you could get a few different kinds of tanks to trim out in a pool somewhere. Empty all the tanks to 500psi and put some weight on the bottom of the pool add till you can stay at 8 or 10 feet with out any issues. You should have a buddy doing this with you and they can trim out as well. You also need all you gear you plan to dive with. Wet suit, lights, strobes, SMB, etc. Then in salt water you might have to add 2 or 4 pounds. This way you will get a feel for the tanks and trim out like a pro plus you can feel how the tanks will be with your body type. Anyway it works for me. :D

HP 100s are a waste. Please do not buy them. (I'm hoping in this recession there will be a price drop if no one orders :D ) Seriously, the HP 100s (love the Worthingtons for their small size and buoyancy characteristics) are my favorite tank. Lose weight off the belt, great buoyancy characteristics, just the right extra capacity, easy on the back.... yeah, do not order them, I want the price to drop so I can buy more :D

PS: I know folks who have gone from AL80s to Steel 100s, but never ran into anyone who switched from steel 100s to AL80s (or AL 100).

Thanks for the information. I sent an email to my dive instructor to see what we can do as far as trying tanks out to get properly weighted then going ahead with the purchase. If it isn't possible for some reason, I think I'm just gonna take my chances and go with the HP-100.

As for the Fill Express place, it's about an hour or so from my house. What's the good word? I gotta head down that way to get some parts installed on the car anyways.

I know folks who have gone from AL80s to Steel 100s, but never ran into anyone who switched from steel 100s to AL80s (or AL 100).

Well I'm kind of doing it. Till I can sell out the $2000 for a dry suit I'm thinking of running double Al 80's. The double 130's are just plain crazy with out a dry suit. Singles are a non issue but two become a problem diving wet. I understand the double Al 80's ride very nice. If it does not work out I can always get rid of them or make them into stage bottles. :rofl3:

Personally, I can put up with the misgivings of the AL80 considering that a pair of steel tanks go for $500 or more. I'd rather spend the money on diving. If I had unlimited funds and didn't mind giving Delta an extra $400 each time I fly to the Keys ($100 each way for each tank) and the additional 60 pounds of luggage and maybe my butler to take up slack, that would be another matter altogether.

I'm 5'9" roughly 155-160lbs and dive with 10lbs right now, no exposure suit. I'll be using a 3mm now though.

And you're welcome.

I dive a 4/3mm in salt with my 100Hp steel (nitrox if the dive permits). Only weight is the 5lb. SS backplate -sweet!

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I sent an email to my dive instructor to see what we can do as far as trying tanks out to get properly weighted then going ahead with the purchase. If it isn't possible for some reason, I think I'm just gonna take my chances and go with the HP-100.

As for the Fill Express place, it's about an hour or so from my house. What's the good word? I gotta head down that way to get some parts installed on the car anyways.
I've only heard good things about them .... Fill Express

Thank you and your buddy for your service and best wishes for a safe return

Tell your buddy that you are correct and he is wrong - Nitrox is a safety factor and once you dive with it you will not dive air if you can help it - the steel tank simply allows weight to be on your back vs in your BC or weight belt -

I find I use a few pounds les weight using steel, but I don't have a scientific basis for that -but still thank him for his service!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom