Convince me to get steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This will be the last part to complete my kit. However, I'm in a dilemma. My buddy and I are currently in Iraq and will be headed back to Texas later this year where we're stationed. I'm doing my PADI AOW and Nitrox while I'm home on leave in FL for 30 days which is where I'll be moving back and doing most of my diving in September 2010 when I separate from the Army. Also, my buddy is supposed to come down to FL from Missouri for the last week of our leave to get a bunch of diving in before we drive back to Killeen.

Now, pretty much every time I go diving in Texas for the next year I'll be with him, and he refuses to spend the money on steel tanks or get his Nitrox cert. I'll be diving HP100/nitrox and he'll be diving AL80/air. Seems like a lot of wasted air/bottom time for me. On the other hand, I guess there's no such thing as wasted air if an emergency situation were to arise. So it's either 2 AL80s for $300 or 2 HP100s for $700. I have an Atomic B2 DIN regulator.

I guess I'm still leaning towards the HP100s since I'll pretty much have them for a long time and can take advantage of the perks once I get back home for good next year. Are they more durable and prone to rust/wear? I am considering either Worthington online, or Faber Blue Steel at the LDS. If I get AL80s they'll be Catalina at the LDS.

Additionally, how many of you own a personal nitrox analyzer? Do you just use one at the shop or on the boat if with a charter? I'll be doing alot of shore diving and was wondering if it's acceptable to analyze it before leaving the shop and then head directly to the dive spot and jump in.

Thanks,
Chris

Edit: Just to add, I've never dived steel tanks before, only AL80s but I'm aware of their buoyancy and capacity advantages. Also, I normally dive 10lbs of weight with the AL80 and no exposure suit. Once I get home, I'll be adding a 3mm wetsuit to the mix and I weigh 155lbs. If any of that matters...

I dive steel 100's and have taken @ 5 LBs of weight out of my integrated weight system. That is helpful as the quick release pouches are not quite as stuffed. I have had no problems with the steel so far. The tanks are about 5 years old and are inspected each year.

The issue should not be which tanks to buy but which tanks to buy first. I use my Al80s and Al63s for most of my TX diving. But an HP 100 with nitrox is the way to go for the Flower gardens. If you are good on air, the nitrox is more important than the HP100. But the HP 100 is the more utilitarian tank and requires just a little more care to avoid rust. If your buddy will not get his nitrox cert, you will not want to buddy with him for a Flower Gardens trip unless he is willing to hover 20 ft about you to even out N2 loading. It makes a big difference there. The good news is the boat will probably do the course on the trip which would allow him to dive nitrox right away. But he will be studying while you are catching a nap.

Drop me a PM when you get to Hood and I'll introduce you to the local diving. It's not SW but it is all we have.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Shoot me your email address to sonic04gt@gmail.com and I'll add you to my contacts for when we get back.

I think I'm still going to stick with my HP100/Nitrox plan for now until convinced otherwise (which I doubt). It'll be nice to take some weights out of my BC.

I like it enough that I sold my AL80 after getting my Worthington HP100, then went and got another one when it was on sale at the LDS .. and they are -2.5lbs when empty, so you can lose about 7lbs off your weights

Thanks, good read.

I'm debating maybe even going with an HP-80 instead. What do you guys think?

Unless you are very short and lightweight, the HP 100 is a much better tank. Even if the choice is an Al80 vs HP 80, the buoyancy disadvantage of the Al80 can be corrected with about $5 worth of lead.

BTW, thank you for your service.

Yeah I'm hoping the Blue Steel 100s go on sale at Divers Direct. I was told they usually do after about 2 years past initial hydro by someone on here. If not, I'll probably end up spending the few extra bucks and grab a couple Worthingtons off Leisure Pro. The XS Thermo Pro valves seem a little more appealing anyways.

Back
Top Bottom