Converting zipseals to SI Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krame

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently have zipseals, and due to a recent scare, started looking around at replacement wrist seals.

They are quite expensive.

I could buy the SI Tech ring system and a pair of wrist seals for the price of the zipseals.

My question is this: could I completely remove the zipseal system and replace it with the SI Tech permanent rings?

Why? My understanding is that with the SI Tech system, I can use any Wrist seal and change it on the fly, much like zipseals, but at a fraction of the cost.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I currently have zipseals, and due to a recent scare, started looking around at replacement wrist seals.

I could buy the SI Tech ring system and a pair of wrist seals for the price of the zipseals.

My question is this: could I completely remove the zipseal system and replace it with the SI Tech permanent rings?

Why? My understanding is that with the SI Tech system, I can use any Wrist seal and change it on the fly, much like zipseals, but at a fraction of the cost.

Thoughts?

How about 'regular' wrist seals and semi-dry gloves?

My Viking/SciTech rings are sitting unused and I'm a big fan of the XS "Dry Five" gloves. Better dexterity and you never have to worry about glove leaks :D

I've always wondered about the wisdom of turning a pair of $10 Atlas gloves into a $120 zipseal system. . .

I have some lobster claw semi-dry gloves that are nice. I wouldn't be opposed to just normal seals either. Do you know if the zipseal system is removable?

Sure is, are you looking to do it yourself? We do a couple of these conversions on DUI's per week....

The Zips are VERY expensive when you need to replace them. That is why a lot of people go with the Si Tech systems instead...

Perfect! While I would like to think I could do it myself, I feel this is one of those jobs to hire out.

Perfect! While I would like to think I could do it myself, I feel this is one of those jobs to hire out.

Check out the link below. We have a promo going right now where you can get the neck system, wrist system, silicone seals all around, and labor for $399
Scuba Diving Services - Drysuit Repairs, Regulator Repairs, and Scuba Tank Maintenance, and Gas fills including Nitrox, Air, and Trimix Fills

I had always figured you really only need to buy one replacement set. After that you just glue a replacement the seal on the failed ring.

That being said, I am looking forward to my new Fusion Sport with SLT system that I have on order for Mike at DRIS.

I highly recommend the Si-Tech system, I have been using it for around six years and still love it. There is one modification to the round system at least, you will want to toss the factory supplied o-rings and replace them with a size -153 o-ring available from McMaster. The factory o-rings are sized slightly over sized and will pinch when donning the gloves and result in a leak. This is a well documented problem but I have had no issues since using the "updated' part. As for the install if you are just doing the wrist rings it is a fairly easy repair. I did a right up before on the modification I had done on my Fusion suit and it was not all that hard. Actually if you were any good at arts and crafts in grade school you could handle this modification. All the parts are available from DRIS but I do have to say there price of $399 including parts and labor with the seals is not bad at all. If you send me a pm I can give you a great deal (actually just to cover my costs) on some -153 o-rings which was not much you just need to purchase them by the pack of 50.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom