Converting yoke to DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIN is more reliable because the o-ring between the tank valve and the first stage is enclosed within the tank valve. If the first stage gets bumped or kicked during the dive, there is much less chance of the o-ring being compromised on a DIN vs. yoke. Yoke connections are reliable. DIN is more reliable. Safe diving is all about putting all the odds in your favor whenever possible.

I understand the concept completely, I just don't think you can definitively say "DIN is more reliable". Got any proof? Other than your assumption, I mean? I realize it's intuitive to think that because the system "seems" more reliable that it actually is, but unless there's evidence....for example, one real-world measure of reliability is in how the system would hold up in the abusive environment of rental and charter diving over time.

I wouldn't be so sure about the bumping, BTW, especially with 300 Bar valves. Those walls of the valve can be pretty thin, although the presence of the reg does (I assume) significantly strengthen the valve. I've certainly seen DIN valves get knocked out of round pretty easily when tanks fall over.

I do like the thicker o-ring that DIN regs use, and I always use DIN fittings on my doubles. It's not like I'm against them, but I know of zero evidence that they provide even the slightest safety advantage in OW recreational diving. They absolutely are an advantage with regards to entanglement hazard in restrictions.

I'm just of the opinion that any upgrade that makes diving equipment safer, more robust or more reliable is worth it.

It will not make diving any safer, I don't really know what 'more robust' means in this case, and the reliability factor is minimal. Again, comparing your own DIN tanks that you take care of to rental yoke tanks that get abused isn't really a fair comparison.

There's no reason not to convert, though, if it's what you want, except if you're then stuck using the din/yoke converter when you dive yoke tanks. IMO those things a pain in the neck, literally, as they put the reg very close to the back of your head where it smacks you every time you look up. That's why it's nice to have separate regs for DIN and yoke tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom