Converting Dive Rite Transpac harness and wing for side mount -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil_C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi - I'm looking for a bit of informed advice please - I am currently diving singles or doubles as back mount with a Dive Rite Transpac harness and a rec exp wing. I'm looking to get the extras to be able to convert this for side mount but am having struggling to work out what bladder options there are with the Transpac for side mount.

I can see I need to get the butt plate, chokers and bungees, but am having trouble working out whether my current rec exp wing can be used with side mount or whether I have to get a nomad wing.

I'm looking to use combinations of my existing tanks, either two 15 litre or two 12 litre steels, or one 15 or 12 and a 3 litre pony for redundancy/bailout depending on the diving.

Any one know if the rec exp will do for side mount please?

Thanks in advance - Phil

I wouldn't do either, but if you are set on using your transpac harness then consider getting the Stealth 2.0 wing, it would just bungee around your body so you don't have to worry about connecting them together and at least you will be able to move it around to have lift where you need it.

I use the original Rec wing - it works just fine :)
Rick

My kid is using transpac II with rec wing. No issues. BTW, you don't need the buttplate, you can just get a crotch strap with a butt d-ring. You can also buy 4 feet of 3/8" bungee for about 10 bucks and make your own bungees old school like Bill Rennaker used to do.

Works great for me and my daughter's rig.

I dive a Transpac with the old rec wing. All I did was build a butt plate and a couple of bungees. The setup works well. I might suggest if you use this type of bungee wing, that you re-weave the cord through all the "D' rings on the soft back plate to keep it from lifting up. Also use the "taco" straps and clip them to the forward "d" rings on the belt so you can adjust them for trim. If the straps are webbing, replace them with elastic strap to keep tension on the wing without restricting its' ability to fully inflate at the bottom of the wing. I usually have some back gas anyway, but it is single tank and the wing works well with and without back gas. A shoe shop will stitch together the butt plate once you get all the parts cut out. Don't forget the belt loops and the bottom "d" ring for optional crotch strap. Make sure you cut the holes for the grommets and hardware through all the pieces, so they can stitch around them before you install anything. I also added another dump valve to the wing so I have 2 bottom dumps and can trim in a head down position without rolling.

Brilliant guys - thanks, this is just why I like Scubaboard. I can pick up an original Dive Rite butt plate for the Transpac quite cheaply, and the bungees etc. are easy to sort out, but I really did not want to have to buy another bladder if I could avoid it. I already use a crotch strap with the Transpac so that isn't an issue. Great tips OkByMe - for changing the webbing on the taco tabs to bungee.

I'll pick up the bits then start hunting a class ! - Cheers P

Thanx all - butt plate now waiting for pickup at the dive shop - should get in there tomorrow, and will then change the setup around - Cheers P

I dive a Transpac with the old rec wing. All I did was build a butt plate and a couple of bungees. The setup works well. I might suggest if you use this type of bungee wing, that you re-weave the cord through all the "D' rings on the soft back plate to keep it from lifting up. Also use the "taco" straps and clip them to the forward "d" rings on the belt so you can adjust them for trim. If the straps are webbing, replace them with elastic strap to keep tension on the wing without restricting its' ability to fully inflate at the bottom of the wing. I usually have some back gas anyway, but it is single tank and the wing works well with and without back gas. A shoe shop will stitch together the butt plate once you get all the parts cut out. Don't forget the belt loops and the bottom "d" ring for optional crotch strap. Make sure you cut the holes for the grommets and hardware through all the pieces, so they can stitch around them before you install anything. I also added another dump valve to the wing so I have 2 bottom dumps and can trim in a head down position without rolling.

I'm relatively new to sidemount diving but this is very similar to my rig. I have stripped down the harness to a simple 2" webing though with 8 D rings.
2 on each shoulder & two forward & 2 rear on the waist. I also remove the back/ kidney pad for sidemount diving. (not needed & cuts weight for air travel)
I too am a DIYer and made my own Butt plate. However, I chose to burn the grommet holes in after stitching with an HD soldering iron.
Mike D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom