Convert and direct me please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And you want 15L tanks (or equivalent), 18L are floaty (not to mention heavy) as hell and are needed only by fat vacation divers for a 30 minute dive @20m. :wink:

We call them corks around here, 18L tanks that is...

And you want 15L tanks (or equivalent), 18L are floaty (not to mention heavy) as hell and are needed only by fat vacation divers for a 30 minute dive @20m. :wink:

We call them corks around here, 18L tanks that is...
:confused:

I have not had any issues with the 18's being "floaty". Are you talking steel as I am? This year for Project Aware harbor clean-up, I used the 18 myself. We were diving shallow and I was in the water for 2 hours. Glad I had the extra air.

Have you seen any Estonians? I am the second smallest diver and I am 184cm (6') 97kg. (213lbs). These are the guys that dominate the discus and javelin events in World track and field. Put them in a drysuit and they require 3-4XL undergarments. These gorillas use air, believe me. :D

As far as having them tested and filled. The shop that wants them will take care of that themselves. Appreciate your concern. :wink:

:confused:

I have not had any issues with the 18's being "floaty". Are you talking steel as I am? This year for Project Aware harbor clean-up, I used the 18 myself. We were diving shallow and I was in the water for 2 hours. Glad I had the extra air.

Have you seen any Estonians? I am the second smallest diver and I am 184cm (6') 97kg. (213lbs). These are the guys that dominate the discus and javelin events in World track and field. Put them in a drysuit and they require 3-4XL undergarments. These gorillas use air, believe me. :D

Yeps, 18L steel tank, never dove AL tanks. The ones I'm referring to are made by Faber.

Ok, I don't know how Estonians look like, so I'll believe you on that one. :D

Hi Sibermike.

Have a look at this company index they are one of Fabers biggest (non brand) distributors, look under "subaquatica" and then "Bombole Faber".

Our company use them all the time for regulators, cylinders,valves, tank bands everything, very accomplished company.!

They wont sell single items to a private individual at trade price, (regretably, but obviously I guess :D), but the shop can certainly approach them for the standard trade / bulk discount, it may be worth a price comparison as the Dollar is quite strong against the Euro now.

I must say we use 18 litre Fabers all the time in our commercial operation and I cant say I find them bouyant either, if anything, you need to be strong enough to handle the weight (20 odd kilos) - not everybodies cup of tea, :D - if you need them as recreational tanks, I think the 15 litres are more manageable at around 16 odd kilos, but if your dives are deep and cold..............well, I can understand the reasoning.

Let me know what you think.?

I must say we use 18 litre Fabers all the time in our commercial operation and I cant say I find them bouyant either, if anything, you need to be strong enough to handle the weight (20 odd kilos) - not everybodies cup of tea, :D - if you need them as recreational tanks, I think the 15 litres are more manageable at around 16 odd kilos, but if your dives are deep and cold..............well, I can understand the reasoning.

Thanks for the info. I usually use the 15L though sometimes opt for the smaller 12L if going short and shallow. The other night we planned 2 dives with max depth being 10m. We were helping a diver train for Rescue Diver. Our SI would be "in the water" discussing the dives and what would be happening. I knew we would be expending an inordinate amount of air to demonstrate skills needed to bring a helpless diver to the surface, etc. I chose to use the larger 18L. I was in the water about 1hour20mins. I don't think that the 15L would have been enough! :wink:

Air temp was -7, water 4. Agree with you, them things be heavy!

Like I was telling Evil, these are some big boys here and diving dry it takes 10L just to cover their mass! :rofl3:

Yes, Sibermike, I have personally never dived in Estonia, but have dived extensively in Europe and done a lot of salvage work in the med mostly off Corsica.Water temp can be real cold, and I am assumng you use dry suits or at least a 7mm farmer john and hooded tunic thermal protection.?

Yah, I agree,the short 12"s are rather nice units and I am very partial to em for most work, but sometimes ya just NEED that extra air.!:wink:

On a sidenote, why not consider doubles if we're talking deep & cold dives?

Nicer weight distribution, lower center of gravity, true redundancy and more gas...

Well, I figured it was 'bout time to go dry. Last week I went on my first drysuit dive. Been diving wetsuit until last week. Here is the YouTube link.
YouTube - kaidokas's Channel
Kaido did the filming and put the piece together. I just got to star in the film! :D

I HAD to have a snorkel since I was been "checked out" for my Padi Drysuit course. Notice the ice on the mask before we got under the water and of course my bright yellar FFins!

Yee-haw!

On a sidenote, why not consider doubles if we're talking deep & cold dives?

Nicer weight distribution, lower center of gravity, true redundancy and more gas...
Admittedly a good idea. Definite consideration. :wink:

No man, you can have it Sibermike, reminds me of a dive I did in Belgium in a frozen lake, everybody was saying, Gee, what a nice day, its gonna be great, get out the picnic baskets for afterwards and I was just looking at the ice and the snow and thinking, Man, the tropics looks so much better.:D

..........they say you get used to it, but................:wink:

Seriously though, nice footage.

Back
Top Bottom